Chapter 45: Wow Me

"Oh, God. That was amazing." I lay my head back on my pillow as Kelly lays back down beside me, our fingers interlinked.

"Where did you learn to do that little thing... at the end..." he probs himself up on his elbow and I begin to laugh.

"I... don't.... even know... I... just did it." I chuckle and he looks down at me with shining eyes. I bite my lip as he leans down and kisses me slowly with his soft lips.

On the baby monitor we hear Alice begin to cry. "I'll go." He says and stands up leaving the room and going into the one next door. "Now, I don't have a beautiful singing voice like mommy but I reckon I can still get you to stop crying. Huh?" I hear him say. "Wow, you've gotten so heavy. Oh, wow! Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow. You stink!" He exclaims. "Have you pooped? Huh? Have you done a pooey in your diaper?" He's talking in a pretend baby voice and I chuckle under my breath.

*

"Ambulance 61, Truck 81, Squad 3, boat accident, 22nd and Canal."

When we get to the scene we see that a large pole from a trailer has come down and trapped a man against the ground. It's crushing his stomach and we can see that his light blue summery shirt is stained with blood.

"Oh, help! Oh, please save them! Hold on, honey!" His wife holds onto the end of the trailer.

"Stand back, ma'am. Give us some room." Casey tries to get her away from the trailer.

"It's all my fault. I left the truck in drive!"

"You have to give us room so we can lift this trailer up." Casey tells her.

"You don't understand! My daughter is in there! My daughter!" she screams.

Chief looks over the small cliff/hill where the car - which the trailer is attached to - is hanging over the water. One wrong move and it'll fall. "Mom! Help me!" A girl screams.

"What's your daughter's name?" Chief asks the lady.

"Elena."

"Elena, some fire fighters are on their way. Stay as still as you can." Chief calls down.

"Okay."

"Mills wrap a sling around this frame. Shay, get the winch cable rea.." he trails off realising what he's just said. He just saw the back of Brett's head and to be honest. The mistake is easy.

"Brett," I call. "Get the winch cable ready." She nods and runs the the engine to get it while Kelly frowns. I nod at him in support. "Let's go!" Severide gets back into his role of Lieutenant easily without hesitation. They do as they're told and attach the cable. "All right, Tony, take the winch cable back slowly till we get some tension in the line." Kelly watches the cable to see when it's ready. "Okay, we're good, Case." He turns to the other Lieutenant.

"All right, Cruz, let's go." Casey calls.

Cruz takes the saw and cuts away the trailer from the truck. "I'm through."

"One, two, three." Casey says and the guys lift the pole from the man's body. We come forward with the gurney and take him to the Ambulance and I drive us to the hospital.

"Urm," I look at Dawson while we drive back to the firehouse after the drop off. "What, um, what's that on your finger?" I point at the diamond on her left hand.

She looks down at it as well. "Oh, my God. In my head I thought I'd already told you!" She says with wide eyes. "Last night Casey took me to do stair drills because he thinks they'll be doing that at Austin to test me and when I got to the top, it was there. He came up and asked em to marry him."