Chapter 7: First Date

When I get up the next day I shower and wash my hair before getting out and eating a fruit salad for breakfast.

I let my hair air dry into its natural curly state while I do my makeup and then get dressed for the day.

There is soon a knock at my door and when I open it I see Kelly Severide leaning against the frame. "Hey," he greets me.

"Hi," I breath out.

"You ready?" He asks and I nod with an 'mm-hmm'. He leads me out of my apartment and down to his parked mustang, opening the door for me like a true gentleman.

While he's driving I take in his appearance. He's wearing a pair of dark slim jeans, a shirt and his usual leather jacket. He smirks knowing that I'm looking at him so I avert my gaze to the window instead. "Where are we going?" I ask.

"I thought it'd be nice to go to the Millennium Park," he replies.

"Okay," I nod, even though I've been there a thousand times and he smirks again.

"This time'll be different," he assures me, as if he can read my mind. He parks the car and then walks around to the boot, "I guessed your shoe size, so I hope they fit." He then pulls out a pair of roller skates and my eyes widen.

"Kelly, I'm barely coordinated as it is, let alone on wheels."

He lets out a little laugh, "you'll be fine, I promise." Severide hands me the skates and I reluctantly take them, using the back of his car as support so that I can put them on. I'm going to majorly embarrass myself in front of him, I can just feel it. "Ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," I reply and let go of the car, standing unsteady on the wheels. I try to take a step forwards but the boots have other plans for me and as I move my leg whips up into the air and I start falling backwards towards the ground. I reach my arms out into the air, hoping to find something to grab onto to stop me falling but Kelly grabs me instead, pulling me upright.

"Woah, steady their Jess." He holds my forearms with a firm grip and I can feel my face burning red from embarrassment.

"This isn't a good idea," I shake my head.

"Just hold onto me," replies Kel. I don't need to be told twice, I wrap both my arms around one of his muscly ones, keeping the leather material of his jacket balled in my fists. "Put your feet shoulder width apart and sort of squat."

"Okay," I do as he says and copy his posture.

"You have to walk a bit like a duck, point your toes outwards, but take longer strides than normal, not lifting up your feet. This'll make you glide." He explains and then we start to slowly move.

I'm stumbling a little but I'm actually skating. "There you go," smiles Kelly. I smirk at myself for managing it, even though we're moving pretty slowly. I take one arm away from Kelly's and move my other down so that I'm clasping his hand now instead of his bicep.

"Don't let go," I beg, even though I've taken one arm away. I'm definitely not stable enough to do it completely alone.

"I won't."

We skate through the park in the crisp, breezy air that nips my cheeks and ears, making me much colder than I'd like to be, but I don't mind because I'm having fun.

We see a team of people setting up a stage for a concert happening this evening and we also skate past the famous Chicago Bean, that is buzzing with tourists and photographers.

Before we know it we've been skating for almost two hours and we go back to Kelly's Mustang. "Hungry?" He asks. I nod enthusiastically, noticing the empty rumbling in my stomach. "I have one condition though," he tells me.

"What?" I ask a little nervously.

"You eat what I order you, anything I order you." He says. I take a moment to think about it. He's going to take me to someplace where I wouldn't normally go because I'm always so healthy. But I find myself not caring because I feel as though I'm wasting away from my hunger.

"Deal," I agree and he smiles, beginning to drive.

We end up outside a fast food diner labelled, 'Five Guys' and enter. The restaurant is filled with the most amazing smell. I grab us a table while he orders, and collects our meal. Then he sits opposite me and takes two burgers and a cup of salted fries.

I unwrap the tin foil containing soft bun stuffed with two juicy real beef patties and oozing, golden cheese. He watches me as I lift the burger to my mouth and take a bite of the succulent food. I sigh and close my eyes. It's amazing. Next I sip at the cherry soda he's got me and I admit to him that he's right, it's very good.

After we've eaten we sit for a while and chat about anything and everything until we decide it's about time that Kelly should drive me home. We get up to my apartment and I unlock the door, before turning around to face Kel again. "Thank you, for an amazing day." I say.

He smiles, "that's okay, thank you for spending your time with me."

"Would you like to come in?" I ask, "fo... for a drink?"

He opens his mouth and for a moment I think he's going to decline my offer but he doesn't, he says yes and then follows me inside to the kitchen.