Chapter 33: Not Like This

"5 bucks, right?" asks Clarke and we all look at the shot glass that has a blue flame emitting out of the top of it. He slams his plam over it and the glass sticks to his hand as he lifts it off of the table and into the air.

"Yeaaaahhhh!" Herrmann, Severide and Clarke scream. Kelly pulls the glass off of his hand and downs it.

It's safe to say they three of them are all pretty drunk.

"Oh, man." Clarke settles down from his laughter and leans on the bar side. "All right, you know what? I can't believe they're closing us down."

"Yeah." agrees Kelly while Clarke opens up another bottle.

"51 saved my life, man." says Jeff and then the three of them all look at each other before bursting into fits of giggles like a group of teenage girls.

"Yeah, she said you'd be here." A man enters the door of Molly's with two other guys behind him and the atmosphere stiffens.

"Wow," breathes Jeff. "Turn around. Go." He waves his arm drunkenly.

"Two grand, Clarke. That's what I gave your wife." The man says. "So either I get it back, or we just call it what it was; a transaction between a man and a whore."

Clarke angrily kicks back his chair and turns around glaring at him. "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey." I warn him and come out from behind the bar.

"Get the hell out of here, Hayes!" Jeff screams. "You hear me?" He launches himself forward but Kelly stands in the way, pushing him back. "Next time I see you, I'll kill you! I will kill you!"

"Get back!" Kelly warns Jeff.

"You're not gonna pay? I'll just have to collect it myself." Hayes says.

"Leave." Kelly snaps at Hayes. "Now."

Jeff rubs his chin and then picks up his jacket. "I'll see you tomorrow." He says and leaves after them to go home.

I finish cleaning up with Herrmann and then Kelly takes us back to my place as well. I dump my bag down on the kitchen counter and sigh. Kelly comes over and puts his hands on my hips, pulling me against him. "You okay?"

I nod, and put my head on his chest. "I'm actually great." I tell him. We're okay. Dawson and I are okay. I'm getting used to things. It's just the closure of the house that's getting to me now. He kisses the top of my head and holds me tighter. "Are you gonna stay here tonight?"

"If you want me to?" He asks and pulls back slightly to look into my eyes.

"Yeah," I smile and then we go to my bedroom.

*

"I hear you, Jim. Trust me." Chief speaks to a group of locals on the apparatus floor next shift. "We have done everything we can to try and save this house."

"Where's the next closest one? Five miles away? What's that do to response times?" Nathan's mom asks. Taye's mom and brother are also here with others.

"It doesn't help, that's for sure." Boden admits.

"So how do they justify it?" she continues.

"Like most things, it comes down to money." He replies.

"Kelly." Nathan runs forward when he comes into view.

He lights up at the sight of the boy and embraces him. "Hey, Nathan. How you doin', buddy?"

"The arm's great," he tells him. "I made the basketball team."

"That's great. That's amazing." Kelly grins widely.