Chapter 13: Under The Knife

I have to miss a few shifts but I am soon back to my usual self.

Boden meets Kelly and I out front before leading me inside. As I walk through the station doors everyone cheers and gets up to greet me.

"Just a little fender bender, that's all." I put my hands up and smile. "No big deal." Dawson comes up to me and pulls me into a hug.

"How's the noodle?" asks Mouch.

I put my hand to my head and pretend to knock on it, "Hard as ever."

"Just a little something from us," Otis comes up to me and hands me a wrapped box. I open it up and pull out a personalised C.F.D. version of a hockey hat. "Added protection." He shrugs and everyone chuckles.

"Welcome back," Boden says.

"Thanks, Chief." I nod and then he heads to his office.

I look at Kelly who's perched on the edge of the table, "I'm gonna tell him," he assures me, "today."

"Okay," I nod and run my hand through his hair, before bending down and kissing his soft lips. He's my boyfriend now, there's no point hiding it from anyone. I mean, Shay and Dawson we told but we didn't tell anyone else (although I'm sure they knew).

"So you two are finally official," Hadley says and I smile while Kel nods.

"Truck 81, squad 3, ambulance 61, police assist." We hear and we all set off.

"Abandoned truck and there's something funky inside. It's padlocked shut." An officer tells us. We look at a large truck, detached from the vehicle part. It's practically in the middle of nowhere. It's not meant to be found. I'm sure of it.

"Capp, grab the k-12." Kelly instructs. "Texas?"

"Yeah," the officer looks at the plate that reads Texas. "Came back stolen from a minivan in San Angelo. Wherever the hell that is."

As we get closer a vile smell hits my nose and it takes everything I have not to throw up.

"Everyone quiet," says Casey and he gets closer having heard something from the inside. He knocks on the metal, "is someone in there? Call out." We wait and then hear a bang as a reply.

"I didn't hear that before," the officer says.

Kelly immediately moves to the door and uses a bar to pull the lock off, opening the van up.

Instantly everyone coughs and splutters, putting their hands to their noses, the smell is digesting. The smell is dead bodies.

"We have multiple victims women, men, maybe fifteen of them. They all look D.O.A. but we need to check vitals." Kelly says from the inside with his oxygen mask on.

I put a mask on as well and enter the metal box. The first face I see is definitely dead. The face has a purple tinge to it.

"Damn it. There are children." Kelly says. "Hey, Morgan!" He calls and I move to wear he's stood and see a girl, awake and alert.

"I know this is scary, but if you come with me, we can help you." I pull out a mask for her to put on. She stares at me blankly so I repeat my sentence in Spanish.

She's the only alive victim so we take her to the hospital, "Dehydrated, borderline hypothermic. Warmed her with blankets, hot packs, and 200cc bolus of warm fluids. No English." I tell the doctor.

"Undocumented?"

"Yeah, found her in the back of an abandoned smuggler's truck." I say.

"How old?"