Chapter 30: Roses

I'm walking out of a cafe where I've eaten breakfast when I see Kelly crossing the street and I go over to him. "Hi," I greet.

"Hey," he smiles back and then looks to a pretty brunette walking towards a restaurant. "Hey, excuse me." He stops her and I frown at him.

"Yeah?" she stops walking.

"Weren't you here before with Benny Severide?" He asks and I realise his suspicion. His fathers never exactly been one to keep to himself, if you know what I mean.

"Uh, yeah, I was. Why?" she replies, confusedly.

"I just wanted to know if you were aware that he has a wife and kids." says Kelly.

"Yeah, of course I do," she replies, getting more confused. "I... who are you?"

"So it doesn't bother you breaking up a family and--"

"Wait, wait, wait," she stops him from talking. "Do you think I'm dating Benny?"

"To be generous, yeah." Kelly nods, despite her young age.

"I'm his daughter, Katie." she tells him and my mouth drops to the floor.

"I... I, um, I'll see you later." I say to Kelly and then walk away so that he and his presumed sister can talk about... things.

*

At the firehouse, on the kitchen counter a beautifully arranged bunch of red roses are stood proudly. "Ooh, who's lucky enough to have been bought these." I ask, pointing at them as I take an apple from the fruit bowl.

"You," replies Shay and picks up a card that's been slipped on the top. In italic writing it simply reads;

I take the card from her but I don't recognise the hand writing and then I look back to the flowers

I take the card from her but I don't recognise the hand writing and then I look back to the flowers. The inner-woman in me thinks that I should put them in water so I take a vase from the cupboard (which we only get out when a grateful surviving victim or one of the family members brings us flowers in appreciation) and fill it with water before I carefully place the roses inside it.

"Somebody has an admirer," Shay practically sings.

"Hey, Herrmann, Lieutenant tests are coming up. How many times you take that thing?" Capp asks, looking at the poster on the notice board. Everybody glares at him.

"Capp, really?" asks Dawson. Herrmann's always wanted to be a Lieutenant but he's never passed before.

"You mean how many times did I fail it?" He asks miserably. Cruz laughs and flips a page of his newspaper. "The answer is three, but not since the '90s. Five kids is all the aggravation that I need. I know my place."

"Hey, lady in the house." Mills walks in with his mom holding brown paper grocery bags.

"Hey,"