Chapter 47: Apologies Are Dangerous

I got a call from Mick, an owner of a bar down town and one of Kelly's mates.

I walk into the bar and I see him cheering after downing a jäger bomb quicker than the others. He's bragging that he kicked their asses. Mick points at me from behind the bar and Kelly stands up turning around. "Hey, babe!" He greets, picking up his jacket and planting a sloppy kiss on my cheek.

"Come on," I incline my head toward the door and he follows me outside.

"You look ravishing," I look down at my tracksuit bottoms and crop top which I've slung a coat over the top of. I look like a mom who hasn't slept in five months. Which I haven't. "Where's your car?" He asks.

"It's at the garage remember," I roll my eyes. "An inspection light came on. We have to take the train."

"Where's my car?" He muses.

"At home, and you hide the keys so no one else can drive it." I remind him of that fact as well.

"Where's Ali?" He slings an arm across my shoulders as we walk.

"Benny turned up this evening after you went out. He ordered a takeout and is with her at home now. Maybe he'll manage to talk some sense into you." I roll my eyes again. I'm not hopeful about that. "Come on." I repeat.

We climb the stairs to the platform and get onto the next train that arrives. We take a seat and I sigh, leaning back onto the chair. "We've got a fair few stops to go, you might as well try to sleep." I tell him and he instantly leans his head on my shoulder and falls asleep.

Despite everything, the rhythm of his breathing, his scent and his heartbeat soothes me and I rest my head on top of his, quietly thinking about everything. It's peaceful.

We both must have fallen asleep because I awaken when the train suddenly jolts to a stop and the carriage we're in blackens.

Kelly awakens and we both look behind us as the door opens and a girl runs in. "Somebody's shooting!" she screams.

She keeps on running into the next carriage and the other lady in our compartment stands up. A man sprints through, pushing her over and following the first girl. A few more people run through to get away from this mysterious 'shooter'.

Kelly stands up and instead of running away into the next carriages he moves toward where the others were running from. He seems to have fully sobered up.

I follow close behind him. He hears a noise and pulls us both to the ground quickly. We edge forward again and look through the window of the door.

A man in a khaki jacket is pointing a gun at a lady who works on the train lines. Someone else is already laying dead by his feet. Kelly moves closer to the door. I catch his hand.

"I want to help her as much as you do," I whisper. "When we go in there, you just need to remember that we have a daughter at home now, who needs us. Don't take any unnecessary risks."

"I know," he squeezes my hand. He then reaches up and quietly opens the door.

"Why did you do that?" We hear the shooter say to the lady. "I told you to stay put!"

The girl looks up at Kelly, "Sir, you need to go back. Go back now!" she warns.

The shooter turns around and holds the gun up to Kelly's head. "You ain't going nowhere."