Chapter 8: Two Families

"When can we go back inside?" One of the teachers from Tadpole KidCare Preschool asks Chief.

"We have to check with the gas company, ma'am and they'll tell you when it's safe." Boden replies.

Another teacher walks over, "Ms. Simpson, I was looking for Leonard to get the keys to the shed but no one's seen him."

"Oh, God." Ms. Simpson says.

"Everyone, stop," Boden tells 81 and Squad 3 to stop packing away, "we're going back in."

They go back in and find Leonard but they also find a meth lab which is where he was. He was using the basement to create the drugs and it went wrong creating a 'gas leak'.

"Okay, everyone, listen up." Boden begins once everyone's out and we're attempting to treat Leonard, "Everyone on scene will have a baseline drug test. Today."

"Happy Thanksgiving." Otis looks at the sky and says sarcastically.

"Hey, Chief, Morgan and I didn't go down there." Dawson says to Boden.

"I don't care. Anybody on the premises. We're gonna want to know how much any of you may have in your system."

"Okay." She nods and then comes back to the ambo.

"Hey," Kelly pulls me to the side.

"Hey."

"I may have taken something this morning." He admits.

"Toradol?"

"Stronger." He reaches into the pocket of his turnout gear and pulls out a packet of pills.

"What?" I read the name, "Michael Jackson couldn't handle these. Where'd you get them?"

"Will it show up on the test?"

"Will these narcotics show up on a drug test?" I ask sarcastically and he sighs rubbing his temple before walking away and I head to the ambo driving Crystal Meth head Leonard to the hospital.

What the hell is Kelly doing? Those pills are dangerously strong.

*

"Look at these chumps." Mouch shakes his head at the T.V. watching the uniforms doing the huge parade today in the streets.

"Are you kidding, man? Parade detail is great." says Cruz.

"Peter Mills, hold your arm up." Mouch instructs and he does so, "now keep it there for five hours. That's what being in the parade is."

"Mills, the shriners they throw out candy, you clean up, man." Cruz disagrees with Mouch's view.

"Now, listen, I know you guys are gonna give me crap for this." Otis pipes up.

"Go on." Herrmann takes a bite of his apple.

"I want to start a podcast."

"What the hell's that?" Chris asks, still chewing his piece of apple.

"Well, I record myself being equal parts charming and brilliant, and then I put it up on iTunes, and people subscribe, and they follow me." Otis explains.

"A mute would be better at that than you." Everyone laughs at Herrmann's joke.

"It's gonna be a 'Day in the Life of a Chicago Firefighter' sort of thing."

"If we have a slow day, then you're just gonna reinforce the stereotype that all we do is sit around and eat." Mouch takes a bite of cake.

We do just sit around and eat. Unless we're running into fires or meth labs or treating gun shot wounds I suppose.