Chapter 20: Ambition

"So, we're up and running." I hear Shay say from around the corner of the locker room. I'm sat on the bench outside my locker staring at the stick in front of me. Kelly and I have barely spoken two words to each other in a week and a half.

"For what?" He asks stupidly.

"I went to the doctor's office this morning and got my hormone shot." she reminds him.

"Oh, yeah. How you feeling?" He asks.

"Fine. Yeah, it's not affecting me at all. Just, uh, it means the window for ovulation is gonna be in the next couple of days so don't make any plans. And, um, as soon as these say that I'm good to go, we gotta get to the clinic and perform our respective duties." she says, possibly holding up a box of ovulation tests like he bought for me a few months back.

"Uh, okay. Yeah." He replies, sounding overwhelmed.

"Sorry, I'm just, I'm really excited." she squeals.

"I can see that." He says and I hear her get up and start to walk away. "Hey, I am too." My heart becomes a whole lot heavier as I look at the stick again.

"Jess, is that--"

"No!" I throw the stick into my locker and slam the door shut when I hear Dawson's voice and then I point to the other side of the locker room to signify Shay and Severide are there.

"Are you...?" She mouths and makes a bump shape with her hands at her stomach. I walk out of the room with her at my heels so that no one over hears.

"Yes," I say and then I just start sobbing. "We haven't spoken at all." I cry and she hugs me as Tara walks up to us.

"Oh, Morgan, what's wrong?" she looks at me and jutts her bottom lip out in a fake sad manner.

"Nothing," I say and then grab the clipboard and notes that she needs to go through passing it too her.

"Engine 51, Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61. Industrial accident, Racine and 15th Street." The alarm sounds and I gather myself together before jumping in the rig and go using on the job.

"Don't worry, once you tell him it'll all work itself out." Dawson assures me.

"Who said I was gonna speak to him?" I ask and then get out of the ambo at the scene. I can feel her eyes burning into my back with shock at my words but truthfully, I don't even know what I'd say.

"Hey, what happened?" Dawson asks Mills once we get down to the rubbish pile.

"A worker backed a forklift into the shelves and the whole thing came down on top of him." He explains.

"Hang in there, buddy. We're gonna get you out." Casey says and I crane my neck to see him laid down with a massive pole covering his legs, crushing them badly.

"Hey, can you tell me your name?" I ask him as he's shaking in shock and looks extremely nervous.

"Phil," he tells me. "Phil Manfreddi."

"Okay, hi, Phil." I smile to try and calm him and then climb so that I'm sat behind his head, able to check him over. "Okay, Phil, I want you to breathe slow and easy for me, okay?" I say and then turn to Tara. "You see his nail beds, how blue they are? What's that mean?" I test her.

"Shock. He's in shock." she replies.

"Very good. We're gonna keep his C-spine nice and straight. And we need to warm him up." Dawson passes me a C-Collar, "Okay, I'm gonna lift your head, hon." I say and then attach it in the right position.