Chapter 17: Better To Lie

Clarice left Shay.

She took a deal with Daniel that said if she moved to New York with baby Wesley then they could share custody and she left that night.

We've all kind of rallied together to help her get through it. Movie nights, party nights, days out, trying to help her feel better but she's never up for any of it. Having a family was her dream, even though she'd only just reconnected with Clarice.

Kelly and I are sleeping when we're woken up but the vacuum cleaner downstairs. We get up to see what she's playing at and Kelly pulls the cord, making the vacuum shot off. "Did I wake you?" she asks nervously.

"Yeah." Kelly raises his arms in an obvious manner. We're stood there all sleepily in our pyjama's staring at each other.

"Sorry! I just wanna get the place clean." she shrugs with bags under her eyes.

"Look, my dad's only coming for a few days. He won't care about the carpet." Kelly looks around.

She groans, "Is that this week?" and then she looks at black bin bags filled with stuff against the wall. "Oh, the bags. "I just, I, everywhere I look, I see Clarice, and I just want to get it out so I can move on or whatever."

"All right, listen, I'll get it down to the dumpster when I get back up, okay?" Kelly says. "And I'll get that to Goodwill." He points at the crib in the corner. Although I'd quite like to keep it for when I get pregnant. I've really caught onto the idea and I'm desperate to have a baby now. It's all I think about. I go to work and focus on that and then as soon as we're off work, we try and try and try again.

I mean we haven't been trying for long granted but I wish my body would hurry up and get inpregnated.

Even though I'm the healthiest eater in the firehouse Kelly's come up with a meal plan that gives me all the vitamins and minerals I need. He's even gone as far as to track when I'm ovulating.

"No, no, no, that stays." she says frantically.

"Why?"

"I, I want to have a baby." she says and I can see tears forming in her eyes. "Look, Clarice ripping my heart out for a second time was, you know devastating, but when I held Wesley in my arms for the first time, I never felt so much purpose or so connected to anyone ever and it's really expensive, but I'll figure it out. I'll work extra shifts, or, you know, whatever."

"Shay, you don't need to be making any decisions right now." I remind my best friend.

"I've made the decision. I'm gonna have a baby." she tells us, tears streaming down her face.

*

"I'm cursed." Christopher stares at the box on the table in the briefing room.

"Herrmann, this contract, if you wanna call it that, is ancient." Otis holds up the piece of paper we found inside.

"Doesn't matter," he shrugs. "It states right there that Stephanides and whoever the hell that this Clifford Baylor is held a 50/50 stake in our bar."

"It's handwritten. It might've been just a rough draft that wasn't probably executed. It's not even dated." Dawson rolls her eyes.

"Should've never opened the safe," says Mouch who's sat down on the couch, stroking Pouch.

"Shut it, Mouch." Herrmann snaps.

"Oh, my God." I gasp.

"What?" Herrmann frowns.