Chapter 25: Prove It

"Hey," I greet Kelly at his apartment because he called me asking for a favour, "what's up."

"I found these," he holds up a file and I take it from him.

"What is it?" I ask, opening the folder and flicking through the pages. "Woah." I exclaim as I read them.

"Will you come to arson investigations with me?" He asks.

I nod, "yeah of course, let's go." I say and head downstairs to my car as his was blown up and he's get to buy a new one.

"Hey," Renee says, climbing out of a cab and I stare at her in shock. How can she look good this far on in the pregnancy. Her hair is shiny and bouncing in curls, her skin is perfect and her figure even looks great with the bump while she wears a green wrap dress.

"You're you're back early." Kelly replies.

"Yeah, two weeks of my mom's natural birthing lectures was enough." She says and then grabs his hand putting it on her stomach. "Feel this. Crazy kicking for the last two days. The baby missed you, I think."

"I, I'm gonna be late, so I better get going, but, um, we'll catch up after shift?" Kelly asks and she looks at me with a frown.

I hold up the file I'm holding, "paperwork and reports are part of the job, they're due in today." I lie, instead of having to go into detail about the way arson works with her.

"Okay. Sounds good." She says and then we walk to my car and drive to the offices.

"These arsons we've been fighting, the M.O. matches up with John Westminster. That's a guy that my dad helped put away a few years back." Kelly says to Ken Rome and I hand him the files.

"Yeah, yeah. Big John. I remember. So?" He asks.

"So I called D.O.C. and it turns out he was released from prison a month ago, right before the fires started." Kelly tells him.

"So you think he's looking to settle the score with Benny by coming after you?" Rome asks.

"We think it's worth looking into," I reply.

"Sure. Anything for Benny Severide's kid and his beautiful girlfriend." Rome says.

"Oh, no, I'm not, we aren't--"

"Great thanks." Kelly says and then leaves so I jog after him. He didn't really need me at all. He could have done all that himself.

"51 seriously has the best food in town." Spellman says as he loads up his plate in the common room. "Where'd you learn how to cook?"

"My family owns a restaurant. Been behind a grill since I was a kid." Mills tells him.

"Any update on Heather's friend Jen?" Severide asks Casey.

"Still in critical condition." He replies.

"Casey, how are the boys?" I ask after Dardens kids be jade they've been staying with him since Heather got arrested.

"As far as they know, mom's on a trip. Hopefully they'll be home soon." Then he points at Dawson, "and if it hadn't been for her, they'd have shown up to school an hour late wearing pyjamas."

"Yeah, that smelled like beer." she adds.

"Truck 81, Squad 3, Engine 51, Ambulance 61. Multi-vehicle accident, interstate 90 at the Eisenhower expressway."

We get to the expressway to find a static home completely tipped over on its side. "Hey! Hey, over here!" A man runs over to us, waving about his arms. "Just before the house went over, I saw a motorcycle passing on the right." He says and then points to the end of the home.