Chapter 38: Keep Your Mouth Shut

I've kicked Keeler where it damn well hurts and launched my body toward the metal, sliding door. I've yanked it open and blinding sun makes me squint and screw up my face. I haven't seen light in a while.

I force myself to ignore it and I start to sprint. I have no clue where I am but I'm sprinting and sprinting which is making my chest burn and my skin clammy with sweat. For some reason it's now summer. It's no longer winter - which was when I was taken. And I'm sweltering hot.

I glance behind me and Keeler is hot on my tail. His hand is outstretched trying to grab me but I'm about an inch too far ahead of him.

He doesn't seem to be affected by the heat at all. He's running and running and he's perfectly fine.

I feel like I'm dying.

I turn my head back in front in case I trip over something and then I'll be back in Keeler's grasp. He hurts me. Hurts me beyond belief. I hate him. More than anyone I've ever hated before.

When my head whips to the front of me again I see him. He's no longer running behind me. He's stood directly in front of me. He's not even panting because of the exercise. He's perfectly fine. But there's a fire in his eyes. I don't stop in time and crash into his torso at full speed. He doesn't even sway backwards at all. It's like he's a rock.

I open my mouth and let out a blood-curdling scream that makes my voice hoarse and sore.

"Jess! Jessica! Wake up! It's just a nightmare! Wake up, it me! It's me!" I hear.

My eyes fly open and I see a face looming over me, his hands on my arms. I push him away and jump up. I run to the other side of the room screaming. "Don't touch me! Don't ever touch me!"

"Sweetheart, it's me. Kelly." But I don't see Kelly. I see Keeler. He's getting up and walking over to me.

"NOOO!" I yell. "STAY AWAY!"

"Jessica, it's me." Keeler's voice cracks and his face frowns into a small cry. "It's me."

I blink and when I open my eyes again Keeler is gone. Kelly is stood in his place. He looks pained. I put my hand to my face to rub my eyes and they come away damp from mingled tears and sweat.

"Kelly?" I ask and he nods. He comes over and wraps his arms around me. "I thought... I thought you were Keeler." I stutter.

"You're safe here." He mumbles into my hair and I hold him tightly. "Are you sure you're ready to come back to work?" He asks.

It's my first day back after what happened. I was given the all clear and Chief said it was okay, so I agreed. I need to get back to normality.

"I'm sure," I tell him. And I know, he knows, there's no point arguing because I'm stubborn and I won't change my mind.

*

"Ah!" exclaims Herrmann as I enter the firehouse. "Here she is. We've missed you." The men -and women - of the companies cheer and I smile.

"I've missed you all too." I tell them and join a group hug. Then I spot Dawson over by the ambo and go over to her. She didn't make it this time round.

"It's Jones' first day as well." she tells me.

Jones the cheater, huh?

"She's the candidate for Truck 81?" I ask and as I do the brunette come from around the corner and begins introducing herself to Truck. "You want to go fill the tank before we get any calls?"