F i v e

Make sure to like and comment if you enjoyed this chapter and give my account a follow for updates on when I will be publishing chapters, news, and information on what is happening around here!

"Hard times will reveal true friendships"

The clocks outside chimed loudly as both arrows hit the twelve o'clock mark, signalising everyone in the office to raise themselves after hours of work from their seats and rapidly flow out the nearest doors for their lunch break. Thankfully, the rules around here are straightforward. Everyone in the building gets half an hour for their lunch break, which is a reasonable amount of time to just eat some food and socialise with your co-workers. However, in my case, lunch breaks will mostly consist of me, alone, sitting and eating the food that I either have brought from home or will buy that day. Socialising won't be an issue.

Unlike everyone else who had sped out of the building as if there was a race going on between them all or the local shops had announced that everything is free, I swiftly lifted myself up off my seat and grabbed my bag before walking off out the building without a care in the world. I mean, it's lunch, who cares about anything right now but food? Not me.

As I patiently stood waiting for the elevator to come to a sudden halt on the seventh floor, where most of the offices were situated and I was currently stood waiting, and for the doors to open wide welcoming me inside the secluded four walls. Finally, after a minute or so of silence had passed I stepped inside the elevator as the doors opened and the familiar noise pinged in my ears.

The elevator had white marble walls, a blue carpet, a silver handrail, a large window covering the whole ceiling showing everything that was happening above me and several buttons, each one leading to a different floor. I pressed my index finger softly against the ground floor button and in seconds the doors slid shut and the elevator lowered itself down carefully as we passed each floor. Nobody else used it as the elevator made its way down. Nor did it ever stop at any of the other floors in the building which was clear since everyone else is already out eating rather than sitting inside the clammy atmosphere of the cluttered offices.

The doors opened wide again as we came to a halt and a ping once again echoed in my ear. From the moment, I stepped out the building, walking past all the receptionists sat down smartly in their classy uniforms and flashed them a small smile before heading outside.

The cold onshore winter breeze blew right through the jacket that had been embracing my petite figure. The dampness of the ground and the several puddles that were scattered The bitterness of the air making its way through the midnight black tights that clung to my legs under the pencil skirt and I hugged her knees close in hope to stop some of the body heat I had left to escape and only leave me in the icy cold mess. Blonde strands of hair fell loose about my face, tousled, tangled from the wind that had greeted us this morning, or should I say midday. The frigid frosty air quickly wicked up into the fabric that enveloped me and soon my feet turned icy and the numbing sensation was all I could feel as I walked down the damp streets of Dover.