T w e n t y - E i g h t

Make sure to like and comment if you enjoyed this chapter and give my account a follow for updates on when I will be publishing chapters, news and information on what is happening around here!

"You are an open wound, and we standing in a pool of your blood." - Rupi Kaur

Bruised and battered, wounded and broken. He laid there still on the hospital bed, his body turned sidewards facing away from the group that had formed inside the room. Although his body faced away I still noticed the galaxy of bruises beginning to form all across the side of his face and no doubt scattered all across his body from the way he clung onto his stomach and sides tightly.

I had never seen anybody that looked as vulnerable as he did at that given moment as I walked through the door of the room and our eyes locked. His hand had been resting on his side weakly as Cole's hand gripped tightly at the sight of his brother, his role-model, his saviour looking so vulnerable.

Lightly, Cole's hand never let go of Fletcher's although he noticed the shifted presence in the room. As I walked up to him and then wrapped my arm softly around his shoulders, afraid to cross any boundaries that he might have already made inside his head, and to my surprise, his head sunk down into the crook of my neck and scrawny arms enclosed around me. Muffled sobs echoed in my ears and as I continued to comfort Cole my eyes seemed to constantly drift off to Fletcher.

What had happened to him? I asked myself as I took in each and every cut and slit that marked his swollen face. I decide that asking questions wouldn't be smart, at least not now. It's not like Cole would say much either way guessing from how shaken up he is and Fletcher, well, I don't think he'll tell me whilst sleeping.

So, hours passed. My mother and Ren switched turns to go downstairs and get snacks or drinks and I sat on the chair beside Fletcher's bed with Cole asleep in my arms. When I last glanced at the clock it was past midnight, no wonder the poor boy was knocked out in my arms. I gathered that I wasn't going to be going to work in the morning, not that I minded anyway. I knew that if the tables were turned Fletcher would be right beside me too.

I glanced at Cole peacefully sleeping and a sense of guilt runs through me, he's so young yet so grown up for his age. He seems to have grown up mentally so much quicker than all the other kids his age yet I couldn't understand why. I laid my head softly on the top of his head and my eyes began to flutter shut, the exhaustion stronger than any want or determination to stay awake.

 I laid my head softly on the top of his head and my eyes began to flutter shut, the exhaustion stronger than any want or determination to stay awake