C. Thomas Howell/Ponyboy Curtis

I was at the lot with my two best friends Pony and Johnny

I was at the lot with my two best friends Pony and Johnny. We liked to come here and escape from everything once in awhile. Johnny mainly escaping from his parents, me escaping from my loneliness, and Ponyboy just escaping to see a sunset.

By now it was getting dark and Johnny stated that he had to go home or his parents would beat him harder for being home late.

"I'm gonna get going guys. Anyone wanna come with? Y/n, your house is on the way, want me to walk you home?" Johnny asked.

"Nah that's alright Johnnycakes. I'm just gonna lie here and look at the stars now. No ones ever home anyways." I said gazing up into the night sky.

"I'll stay here with you y/n. Nobody's home for me either. Darry's working overtime and Soda's on a date." Ponyboy said now lying next to me.

And with that, Johnny shrugged and headed on home. Pony and I were lying together in silence. It wasn't an awkward silence, but a comfortable one. I could always be myself around Pony. He has always been there for me. The silence lingered on a little longer till Ponyboy spoke up.

"Hey I brought a deck of cards if you wanna play something." He leaned on his arm to look at me.

"Sure I love card games. What do you wanna play?" It was true. Before my mother had passed, she taught me almost every card game she knows. It was how we spent our moments and I will never forget them.

"Hmm I don't know. Go fish? Blackjack? Strip poker?" He mumbled on the last one though I still understood him.

I gave him a playful slap while trying to hide my blush. "Ponyboy Curtis! You have changed! I don't know whether to blame Two-Bit or Dally for this one." I giggled.

"Oh you know I'm only kidding. Okay fine then, what about regular poker? I know it's your favorite."

I smirked. He's in for it now. Not only is poker my favorite card game, but it's the one I am a master at. My mother called me a poker prodigy cause on my first game, I got a straight flush. At first we called it beginners luck, but then I got two more flushes. It was just too easy for me.

"Okay. Poker will do just fine." I tried to hide my smirk. There's no way Pony can beat me.

We played for sometime and I thought my hand was looking pretty good. Ponyboy then looked up at me with a smirk.

"Hey wanna make this game a little more interesting?"

"Pony I already told you, no strip poker!" I pointed back.

He laughed. "No no. I mean like a bet. Like if either of us win, we get something we want."

I thought about it and it sounded like a good idea. I knew just what I wanted. Recently I got tickets to see The Chiffons and none of the guys wanted to go. Luckily my friend Joanna, from work at the Dingo, wanted to come with me. The only problem is that we both want to take off from work that night to see the concert. Joanna asked sooner than I did so our boss let her slide, but he unfortunately didn't let me slide. He kept on giving me a hard time and says he'll only let me go if I can find a suitable replacement. I think you know where I'm going with this.

"Okay. If I win, you have to work tables at the Dingo for me while I go to The Chiffons concert next week." I looked up from my deck at him.

"Okay that's fine. But if I win, you have to go on a date with me. Maybe see Gone with the Wind at the Drive-In? They're doing a classic movie marathon." He was now looking at me with a smirk.

Ponyboy was cute and I honestly would love a date with him, BUT, this concert is really important to me so I have to win otherwise, I have to go roaming around for a replacement.

"Fine then." I looked at my deck before I was gonna place it down. My deck consisted of a 7, 8, 9, 10 and a Jack of clubs. I had a straight flush! I had beaten Pony and now I can go to the concert!

"Sorry Ponyboy but it looks like you are running tables for me. Check it. A straight flush." I placed my cards down with the biggest smile.

"Wow. You are good at poker y/n. I just hope you are good enough to realize that I actually won." He placed his deck down.

My smile faded. He had an 8, 9, 10, Jack, and Queen of hearts. He beat me. His deck was considered higher and he beat me.

"No! Ugh now I have to keep looking for a replacement. I might not even find one and I won't be able to go to the concert." I looked down to the floor.

He lifted up my chin. "Tell you what, I'll let you come out as the overall winner here by asking Cherry Valance to work for you. She owes me anyway. But I still win in this game, so... a date to the movies tomorrow night?"

He's a total sweetheart. I gave him a small, genuine smile. "That works. I'd love to go to the movies with you Ponyboy." We shared a quick kiss before we got up and headed home together.

This was one poker game I'm glad I lost.