Alex Winter/Bill S. Preston Esq.

Ahh the school play

Ahh the school play. Where theater kids go to live... and delinquents go to die.

In my school, if you get in trouble, you can either go to detention or join the school play. Now a lot of people are thinking, "just take the detention! It's only a few hours after school for a few days. Maybe you have to write a paper or something, but it's not so bad!" Well... detention here is not like that!

Detention last so long with literally nothing to do. They don't make you write anything, so you have to stare at the clock the whole time. And also, the creepiest of the creepy detention regulars are always looking around the room for fresh meat. Who knows what they do when they find it. Overall, it's not a place you want to be.

There aren't many theater kids in our school and the person in charge, whose name is Ms. Collins, is always looking for extras. So since many kids don't want to join the school play, it's now considered a punishment.

I am a good student at my school... or at least I try to be. I've never done anything bad... except for this one time.

So four of my friends and I were in class one day when we heard the biggest news. One of our favorite clothing stores at the mall was closing down. We were so sad till we found out that they were having an 'everything must go' sale by selling all of their clothes for under $10. So we ditched class by hopping into one of our cars and driving to the mall. I ended up getting so much clothes. I thought it was the best day of my life. We were all so happy... till we got back to school.

Standing in our parking spot was our principal with his arms crossed. Apparently all of our teachers were talking on their lunch break and all told the principal we ditched. After what seemed like hours of scolding, we got the option of either detention or the school play. We made our choice right away.

The play they were doing this year was Romeo and Juliet. A little overdone don't you think? We had to stay after school on Friday for tryouts to see what roles everyone would get. I stood on the stage with all the other bad kids, not even wanting to try. I'll take being the role of a damn tree if it means I don't do anything.

First two people to try out were... Bill Preston and Ted Logan?

I turned to the girl next to me. "What are those two in for? They never do anything bad."

She looked at me with a smirk. "Well I heard that they were doing an air guitar in their science class and knocked over all the chemicals. Half the kids got knocked unconscious and had to go to the hospital."

I don't think I believe all of that, but that sounds like something they might do. I looked up at Bill and he was surprisingly doing pretty good.

Eventually, it became my turn. Again, I barely even tried. I mean, I just read the lines like I normally would.

"Well I think that's it everyone. Thank you all and I will put up the roles tomorrow outside the auditorium door." Ms. Collins said.

"Finally." I rolled my eyes and grabbed my bag, leaving as soon as I could.

Then next day, we saw a crowd surrounding the door to see the roles list. I walked over expecting to be the tree. Praying to be the tree! I pointed right away to it, but then saw that Ted Logan was playing that role. Damn Logan. So then I looked for my name.

I got the role of Juliet. The freaking lead role!

"What?! I didn't try at all!" I exclaimed.

Who was playing opposite me? I looked for Romeo and saw that it was Bill Preston. I haven't said anything to Bill Preston except for "they have good tatter tots here" in the 6th grade.

Now... I have to be in a romance with him.

As time went by, being the role of Juliet wasn't so bad. I'm getting along so well with the people who are playing my family members and Bill and I are becoming close too. I actually think I'm kinda starting to like him. I mean come on, they way he looks in his armor? Or when he stares at me while playing Romeo. Sometimes I don't know if he's acting or not. Or that's what I like to think.

It was after school one day and we all filed into the auditorium together to rehearse. Ms. Collins was standing on the stage, ready to tell us what parts we were acting out today.

"Okay everyone! I want you all to put on your costumes and we will be starting off with the death scene today. Juliet, when you see Romeo dead, I want you to actually kiss him."

Everyone ran off to get ready, while I just stood there. My jaw was on the floor. 'I have to actually kiss him now?' I thought to myself.

I became so nervous, lying on the stage in my costume. I was looking at the ceiling with one thing on my mind.

I have to kiss Bill.

I don't know why I'm so nervous. I just... am I guess. I don't know what to think.

"Okay so, Romeo! You just finished slaying Paris and you enter the tomb to see Juliet dead. Action!" Ms. Collins shouted.

I closed my eyes and Bill opened makeshift door, leading into an imaginary tomb. He stood there for a bit. I thought he forgot his lines.

"Most untriumphant." He then crouched beside me. That wasn't in the script. I wanted to open my eyes to see what he was doing but I don't want to make Ms. Collins mad.

"Uhh.. can I just skip this part for now and drink the poison? It's so long." Bill asked.

Scratch that. I don't want to make Ms. Collins more mad.

A few people giggled and even I had to stifle laugh. I heard Ms. Collins sigh and I guess she nodded because Bill continued.

He gulped down the 'poison', or shall I say grape juice. "O true apothecary. Thy drugs are quick. Thus with a kiss I die." And he fell to the floor.

We were lying for a bit longer since the kid who was playing the Friar was supposed to come in.

"Where is our Friar?! You know what? I don't care. Let's just skip his dialogue go to Juliet seeing Romeo and kissing him." Ms. Collins yelled in a stressed out voice.

My eyes bolted wide open. I wasn't ready for it this quickly.

I sat up slowly and picked up the cup. "What's here? A cup, closed in my true love's hands?" I can't help looking at Bill. He looks so handsome lying there.

I forced myself to look back at the cup. "Poison, I see, hath been his timeless end." Screw it. I dropped the cup and looked back at him, grabbing both sides of his face.

"I will kiss thy lips. Haply some poison yet doth hang on them to make die with a restorative." I spoke softly.

I brushed my fingers down his face while taking in his features for a moment. Finally, I placed my lips upon his. Though he was suppose to play dead and not react, he started to kiss me back. The world around me disappeared while kissing Bill. Everyone and everything was only a mumble. I wished so hard that our kiss would last forever, but we stopped due to Ms. Collins yelling.

"That's it! First, I find out the Friar kid didn't bother to show up. Next, you two don't even care about your lines, skipping a majority of them. Then, you don't even listen to me as I say stop kissing! A little kiss, then Juliet dies. NOT Juliet makes out with Romeo and they actually start a loving relationship. I can't handle this right now." She stomped out while massaging her head.

Bill looked in me in the eyes with a grin. "I like that version better though."

I smiled back at him with a giggle. "This is gonna be one hell of a show."