Turtlejou

"We'll be an awesome team. You can be the idea dragon and I can be the WHAM BAM SHOVE A PINEAPPLE UP HIS SNOUT dragon!"

⤜⤏

Why? Does? Everyone? Think? This? Is? Canon?

I wrote a huge essay on this on my other story, Pyrrhia: A FanWing Commentary. Go check it out. Its lack of votes and comments is tragic. But self-promotion aside, this ship is very definitely NOT canon. Kinkajou was literally enchanted to love Turtle. Enchanted love is not real love. Turtle would never take advantage of her while she was under a spell, either.

I think Turtle having a crush on Kinkajou is cute. It's a charming dash of puppy love. But in all honesty, I don't really think they'd work out. I've never really felt anything for this pairing, and they don't have that much chemistry. I think, in this case, Turtle's crush is rather one-sided; I can't see Kinkajou reciprocating his feelings while there's other, more exciting dragons around, like Moon or Winter.

In short, Turtle's not interesting enough for her. Which is heartbreaking, and also makes for some wonderful fanfiction material. They have lots of that, by the way, as well as a ton of adorable headcanons. I think that if someone could use these well - hello, yes, Tui, I'm looking at you - I could maybe end up shipping them a lot more.

With regards to compatibility, I don't think they're that poorly-matched. They don't have any clashing traits, and they work well enough as a team. But I do think Kinkajou needs a more dynamic partner. She'd be good for getting Turtle out a bit, but I can imagine she'd become rather bored of him.

When it comes to books, I'm far too analytical for my own good. Unless they're really properly-developed, mindblowingly adorable or tragically absolutely never going to end up together, I don't tend to ship them. Hey, people like heartbreak. In Turtlejou's case, I just haven't connected them with one of these groups yet.

6/10.