Pertle

"Turtle."

"Moose."

⤜⤏

So let's get this straight - romantically or platonically, I love the idea of Peril and Turtle together. Their personalities work quite well together, and their situations are surprisingly similar. Both have an unusual power and both fear others taking advantage of these. They're both outcasts in their own way - Turtle is shunned because he's boring, and Peril because she's vicious. There's a lot in common there.

They also have some good differences. Turtle's quiet demeanour is a nice counter to Peril's explosive character. Their time together in the books has been brief, but already they've started to develop each other in a positive way. Peril's gotten friendlier and less turbulent - Darkstalker and Moon both agree that her mind is "less fiery" than before - and Turtle's grown confident enough - or proactive enough, at least - to share his deepest secret - his powers - and play a bigger part in the story. I'd love to see this continue.

And of course, there's the chemistry. They have a good rapport already: the whole Moose thing when they met, debating who saved whose life and when, throwing fish at to give Peril a taste of raw seafood, wishing they could hug each other. If they did get together, they'd be rather cute.

However, my opinion on this ship is just like with Qinter: they'd be good lovers, but they're better off as friends. Turtle provides to Peril what Qibli provides to Winter: an easygoing friend to relax around.

Peril has never really had the chance to explore the social world as a dragon; she's always been a weapon, a monster, or an outcast. Her self esteem is a mess and her behaviours are erratic. She needs someone to help her with the many blows Queen Scarlet's abuse has dealt her - and while a lover can do all that, it's easier coming from a friend. Lovers break up or have babies. Friends are just... there. Always.

So all in all, I like this ship, but there's plenty of better ones out there. I'd prefer to see Peril with Clay and Turtle with Kinkajou, or whomever else he may fall for. So just this once, I'll say it - canon is better. In this case.

6/10.