Anemarin

"I'd say you're somewhere between sloths and Anemone's crush on Tamarin on the adorableness scale."

⤜⤏

Some bastard spoiled this for me before I managed to get my hands on a copy of DoD, but I was still super excited when I heard about this ship. Although there isn't much development to back it - aside from hanging out in the underground lakes, the two are never really shown interacting - I really like them as a couple.

"But Siri, you only like it because it's lesbian!"

You are absolutely right. LGBT+ representation isn't very common in popular books because of the effect it can have on readers (when you're a writer, you really don't want to do anything that might deter your audience; after all, you'll be relying on them buying your work for income, which they won't do if they don't like it). However, it's also very important; it gives LGBT+ people a voice in the media and familiarises readers with different sexualities and/or genders, which is a huge step towards acceptance.

My favourite thing about this pairing is how casual it is. This is exactly what we need in the media. While it's great to have LGBT pairings take the spotlight, it can actually alienate them - instead of thinking of them as a normal couple, we think of them as the gay couple. Having them as a background ship is great, because it helps normalise same-gender relationships.

With regards to the characters' compatibility, I'm not sure they'd work out in the long-term.

In terms of compatibility, the dynamic isn't that bad. Anemone is very petulant and a little bit self-centred; she judges things with regards to how they affect her, rather than how they would affect others. This isn't entirely her fault, keeping in mind her sheltered, somewhat indulged upbringing. Tamarin is independent enough that she wouldn't cave in to Anemone's demands; also, her wisdom and quiet humility could be a positive influence. Tamarin is also astute and surprisingly perceptive; she'd be able to handle Anemone's moods confidently and help improve her as a character.

However, there are a few flaws. Anemone is a princess; when she leaves Jade Mountain, she'll be spending a lot of time in the Deep Palace. Keeping in contact would be difficult for both of them - the rainforest and the Sea Kingdom aren't that close. In addition, there's Kinkajou, who won't be inclined to forgive Anemone for that spell quite so soon. If there's any drama between them, Kinkajou would side against her in a heartbeat; she could influence Tamarin's decisions very easily, intentionally or otherwise. Moreover, we don't even know whether Tamarin likes Anemone back.

In the long run, I can see them more as high school girlfriends than long-term wives. Which is fine; not every relationship has to work out. Anemarin a harmless pairing and I'm delighted to see it taking flight in the fandom, and I can't wait to see how they develop in the future.

10/10.