Lynxter

"You must have had such an adventure."

⤜⤏

Winter and Lynx are one of those kind of underrated pairings that could have been really good if it had more attention.

Although we only see Lynx for a chapter or so, we learn a lot of things about her: first, that she has unusual spots, and second, that Winter used to find them pretty. We learn that she comes from a family of minor nobles, but worked her way up to the First Circle. She's also a good sport, congratulating Winter on his place in the rankings even though he had usurped her. Overall, she strikes me as a lovely dragon.

She and Winter seem to be good friends already; they're shown sparring together, and Winter mentions having known her since they were dragonets.

In the battle at Jade Mountain, Winter saves Lynx from an attack by Fearless. He's clearly loyal to her, and he likes her - so already, we have some good starting material.

They wouldn't work badly together. Lynx is kind but resilient, and could probably help cool Winter's turbulent nature without letting him hurt her. They clearly trust each other enough, and in terms of ranking, they're not a bad match (or, they weren't until Winter left).

However, given the current state of things, I wouldn't say Lynx would be my first choice for Winter. One of the highlights of Winter's character arc was prejudice; overcoming his hatred of the other tribes and realising that other dragons were just like him. To illustrate his development - from a hostile, closed-off character to a more understanding one - I would rather see him with a mate from another tribe.

Actually being together would be difficult for Winter and Lynx. Lynx has a rank to maintain in the Ice Kingdom, whereas Winter isn't even allowed to return (to my understanding, at least). He's busy in the Sanctuary, and he'll most likely meet someone there. I'd love for them to remain friends, but I feel like friends is the most they can manage without inconveniencing themselves.

Also - and I've said this before - not every boy-girl relationship needs to progress beyond friends. Even if Winter did think she was pretty in the past, I think he needs a few friends in his life.

So, I like this ship, but I'd rather see the plot go another way. If I had to pick an IceWing to ship with Winter, I'd definitely choose Lynx, though.

7/10.