Sunnyflight

"I'm sorry I wasn't here to take care of you."

⤜⤏

Sunnyflight shippers, do you want to know a deep dark secret?

I ship this just as much as you do.

Sunny and Starflight were the first characters I shipped properly in the series. Hardcore, profusely, doodle-fanart-in-my-schoolbooks kind of properly. Tui took her time letting Starflight's feelings creep their way into the story through the characters she chose to write through: Clay was oblivious, so we didn't see much in his POV. Tsunami noticed Starflight hanging around Sunny, but didn't acknowledge it as a crush - so we saw some action in her POV, but only just enough to become suspicious. Glory noticed Starflight had a crush, which was a buildup to Starflight himself. His POV was like the climax of the whole thing. Sunny's POV was like the calm after the storm, where we finally got to see how the ship would turn out.

And through it all, I loved them. She's optimistic and outgoing, while he's nervous and closed-off. If they did get together, they would be adorable.

But - but but but but but but but but but but BUT -

They didn't. She didn't feel the same way as him. And however much it broke my heart when I read it, relationships have to be mutual. Both characters have to like each other to be in love.

Why is that so hard to understand?

I think Sunny and Starflight's story has a very clear moral behind it - and one that a lot of people need to learn: moving on. Sometimes, love doesn't work out, and that's fine. It's possible to remain friends after rejection, and it's possible to fall in love again. Starflight getting over his feelings for Sunny and moving on to another dragon - most likely Fatespeaker - is a testimony to this.

So while I used to love this ship and still do think they'd be cute together, I think it's more important to learn than to be satisfied. People need to respect others' decisions - and, in this case, people need to respect a fictional character's decisions. The easy route for Tui would have been to have them end up together; but instead, she opted for something else. For a reason.

Starflight definitely needs someone. He's nervous and insecure, and needs a companion to nurture and reassure him. And after losing his sight, he's especially vulnerable.

Fatespeaker - I'm going to use her because she's the most common rival - needs Starflight. She grew up in a pretty rough place. She has a few issues too and needs somebody to care for, and to tone her down.

Sunny, on the other hand, does not need Starflight. She grew up in a happy environment with her friends. She's settled into her role at Jade Mountain and can probably continue without a lover to lean on.

So really, it comes down to this: would it be better for Starflight to need someone who doesn't need him back, or someone who needs him too?

They're cute, but there's better dragons for both of them. Also, Sunny said no, and the development resulting from that is worth far more than a few happy campers who get to see two dragons kiss.

6/10.