Sunbli

"Are you falling asleep in the middle of my fascinating explanation?"

⤜⤏

Okay, I've seen this pairing a few times - mostly before Moon Rising came out. I don't mind it, but it's not my favourite.

Their personalities are okay in terms of compatibility. Sunny is bright and optimistic, but sensitive enough that she'd be able to help Qibli out when he's feeling down. Qibli is witty and would probably come up with all sorts of ways to entertain her. Also, I think he'd be respectful instead of patronising her (which is what a lot of dragons tend to do). And... well, if they ended up together, Thorn would definitely approve.

Then again, having said this, I think she would cause a few conflicts between them. When Sunny first met Thorn, Qibli insisted on lingering nearby. He's a little possessive of Thorn, and I think that would end up getting between them. They'd basically fight over her.

Thorn is a mother figure to both of them, which makes shipping them a little odd (but not entirely, since they aren't related). I've heard a few people say Qibli considers Sunny his adopted sister, which is pretty adorable. I'd rather see that than a romantic pairing.

Another thing that gets under my skin with this one is the Jade Mountain saga. They're really not that far apart age-wise, but making Sunny a teacher and Qibli a student plays at a maturity gap. If they were classmates, I'd have no problem with it. But since they're on different levels, I kind of struggle to see them as a couple.

Of course, it's not a bad pairing. They have a decent amount of material. They just aren't set up that way in the canon, which to me seems like a deterrent.

5/10 (sorry I give everything fives, I'm the world's biggest fence-sitter).