Blacier

"I'm sorry, Blaze. This is your fight."

⤜⤏

I've waited a long time to do this ship. Why? Because it's my favourite ship in the world.

Okay, the premises aren't entirely perfect. Blaze is dizzy and narcissistic and the fandom forgets that a lot. Glacier is rigid and sturdy and in the canon she's acutely aware of how silly she is. But this is one of those ships that for me completely overrules any logic, just because I love it so much.

Tall majestic queen and a pretty, naive princess? Serious, solemn ruler and her dizzy but fruitlessly optimistic girlfriend?

I dig it. A lot. They're adorable.

Blaze has a lot of flaws, and as a result, she gets a lot of hate. Glacier is underdeveloped - we never see into her life that much - but she's established as a fair ruler. Most of the people I know where sad to see her go at the end of Talons of Power. Or maybe that was just me. I started crying. But anyway.

I think part of it is their personalities - nice and complimentary, with a lot of potential. Or maybe it's the headcanons. Or maybe it's just that I'm a sucker for love stories that could never be. But I love this ship waaaay more than I should.

Picture this: the first time Blaze met Glacier, it was at a diplomatic occasion, and ever since then, she's had a hopeless crush on her. When Oasis died, she instinctively turned to her; the nearest kingdom, and an elusively beautiful queen. At the time, it was all that made sense in her panic.

The two grew closer during the war. Glacier brought out  a new side in Blaze - an insecure dragon, raised under a cruel mother and hostile siblings, who felt she was nothing and turned to the only thing she knew to make herself seem worthy: beauty, and petty things like jewels. Glacier nurtures Blaze and helps bring out the more mature, responsible dragon - a dragon who might be fit to rule.

Come on, guys. Glacier is a good queen. Don't you think she supported Blaze for a reason?

Imagine Blaze giving Glacier little jewels and Glacier teaching her combat and the two of them sharing interests and exchanging little whispers late at night when no-one can see. Extravagant shopping trips after the war. Glacier's immense relief when Blaze isn't killed. She's proud of her.

And then...

Well, then, Talons of Power.

I didn't even get the chance to read this. I had it spoiled on an Instagram post. And let me tell you, it crushed me. Just like it probably crushed Blaze.

Picture her waiting at Glacier's deathbed, clutching her talons and begging for her to hold on. Imagine her numb after the end, reclining listlessly in her palace. She withdraws into herself, all the life sapped out her scales. At her funeral, she delivers a heartwarming eulogy (psst go check out my headcanons book) and bursts into tears afterwards. Thorn comforts her and Queen Snowfall even sends her a tribute, but it's not the same.

A lot of this is headcanon-based, but it's all perfectly canon-compliant. Their personalities make for a nice balance, and there's a lot of development that can be merited from it. Without a doubt, this is one of my favourite ships. Ever. I would die for these girls.

10/10 (woah).