Chapter 6: Jefferson's Favorite Frenchman

When you almost forget it's Friday...

~~~

“Please don’t push me away! I love you!” Thomas banged on the door of the room he and Alex used to share.

Tears were starting to crawl down his face, he could feel them. He didn’t even realize he was crying. Why was Alexander doing this? Why was he acting as if he didn’t want to be with him anymore? Alex literally just kissed him and told him he loved him! He ran to the one person who could help him at the moment--Aaron had requested to not be bothered so he could study, and James was working. He knocked on the door frantically and almost instantly, Lafayette was at the door.

“Thomas, mon ami, wha-”

Lafayette was interrupted when Thomas engulfed him in a teary hug. The Frenchman instantly brought Thomas into the room, where Hercules was sitting on the bed braiding John’s hair. The two mentioned looked up and watched Lafayette lead Thomas to his bed.

“Is he okay?” Hercules was the first to ask, concern lacing his voice.

“I don’t know yet,” Lafayette replied over the loud sobbing mess that was Thomas Jefferson.

“Herc, you done with my hair? I have to get to class pretty soon,” Laurens asked his friend.

“You can go,” Hercules replied and Laurens ran out the door faster than a cheetah.

“Thomas? Mon ami, I need you to calm down, okay?” Lafayette said comfortingly. “Calm down so you can tell me what’s wrong.”

The Frenchman held Thomas close, rubbing circles on his back, and whispering comforting words in French. That always seemed to comfort his Virginian friend. A half hour passed before Thomas was calm enough to explain what happened.

“Alex broke up with me,” Thomas said, then broke into more tears.

“He what!?” Lafayette shouted angrily. “Herc, grab my phone. I need you to text Alexander for me.”

“Can't I just use my phone?” Hercules questioned.

“My phone, he needs to see it’s from me,” Lafayette growled.

Hercules did what he was told. There was no arguing with Lafayette when he was angry.

To Alex: mon petit lion, what have you done to Thomas?

To Alex: he is over in our apartment crying his eyes out because he says you broke up with him.

To Alex: idk what is going on, but you need to be a man and fix this.

To Alex: I know you're reading this. Answer this phone.

To Alex: if you don't text me back right now, I'm going to call you.

“He's not responding,” Hercules notified.

“Call him, put it on speaker phone,” Lafayette ordered.

Hercules didn't hesitate.

……

To Alex: I'm calling now.

The phone rang...and rang...and rang until it got to voicemail.

“Alexander, what the f**k is your problem?” Lafayette angrily asked. “I'm sending Herc over now! You better open the door for him, or you can kiss our friendship goodbye!”

Hercules hung up the phone and sighed as he left the room. Lafayette stayed with Thomas, wrapping his arms around him protectively.

“I don't even know what I did, Laf,” Thomas sniffled and hugged Lafayette tighter.

“I know, mon cher,” Lafayette said softly, stroking his friend’s hair. “Didn't you just get back together?”

“Yeah...yesterday, I told him that I was ready to get back together,” Thomas whimpered. “He freaked out at first, saying that I didn’t deserve him and that he didn’t want to break my heart again...look at where that got me. Heartbroken in my French friend’s arms.”

“Aww, my poor, sweet Thomas,” Lafayette cooed. “Obviously, Alexander doesn’t know what he’s missing out on. He’s right, you don’t deserve him and he doesn’t deserve you. You’re too good for him.”

“I just wish it didn’t hurt so bad, Laffy,” Thomas sobbed and lay his head in the crook of Lafayette’s neck.

“I know, mon ami, I know. He messed with your heart and that’s the most fragile part of you. Here, I have an idea. How about the two of us go out tonight? I know about this club that’s a few minutes away and we can have a couple of drinks and a good time to get your mind off of that jerk. Does that sound like fun?”

Lafayette felt Thomas nod and the Frenchman smiled.

“Can we bring Jemmy too?” Thomas mumbled quietly as he yawned.

“Yes, you can even bring Burr, if you’d like.”

Thomas sat up at that, “I thought you didn’t like Aaron.”

“I will tolerate him if you wish to bring him,” Lafayette replied and pushed Thomas’ head back down. “Now, I think someone’s tired. I will protect you while you rest.”

“Laffy, you are a godsend,” Thomas yawned and closed his eyes to sleep.

“What are friends for, mon ange?” Lafayette placed a soft, platonic kiss on his forehead.

~~~

Later that day, Lafayette was driving Thomas and Aaron to the club. James couldn't make it because his job wouldn't give him a break. Aaron agreed to go because he knew the two of them would be too drunk to drive themselves home, so he was the designated driver.

When they got to the club, Lafayette dragged Thomas to the bar, while Aaron stayed behind and grabbed a table. The bartender, who just happened to be Samuel Seabury, looked up from cleaning his bar.

“Well, Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson,” he smirked.

“Seabury, we don’t have time for your little rivalry or whatever it is that you have against Thomas,” Lafayette ordered. “We’re just here for a nice night at the club.”

“Sure, hey Thomas, how’s your pup doing?” Samuel asked teasingly.

“Now is not the time, Samuel,” Thomas said quietly.

“Oh, I’m sorry, why don’t you go cry to your boyfriend?” Samuel taunted.

“I can’t...we’re not together anymore,” Thomas told him shyly, a tear breaking through.

“Mon ami?” Lafayette placed a hand on his back.

“I’m okay...it’s okay.”

“Whoa...dude, I’m sorry, I didn’t know,” Samuel apologized. “Are you alright? Here, I know the perfect drink for a break up.”

The man worked fast to fix up a drink perfect for this occasion. He returned with a dark liquid in a whiskey glass.

“Rum and Coke, my treat for being a jerk,” Samuel passed the drink to Thomas.

“Thanks,” Thomas sniffled and scarfed the whole thing in one gulp. “That’s pretty good, but I’m gonna need more.”

“Don’t worry, there’s more where that came from.”

“Oui! Tonight is all about you, Thomas!” Lafayette wrapped an arm around Thomas’ shoulder.

~~~

(1080 words)

Hey! Gotta go, so I'll see you guys on Monday! Hope you enjoyed, you know what to do if you did! Love you all, bye!