Chapter 14: Road Trip!!!

“Are the bags all packed?” Thomas asked Alex.

“Yep! I think we’re all set!” Alex cheered.

Thomas giggled. “Sounds like someone's excited to see Monticello.”

“You know what? I think I am,” the immigrant smiled. “I can't wait to see how you designed everything! And I also can't wait to use that Polaroid camera!”

“We can take lots of pics,” Thomas said.

“So...we ready to go?” Alex asked.

“I’m ready when you are,” Thomas smiled.

“Let’s do this,” Alex smiled back.

~~~

The first hour of driving consisted of talking about school and happy things. Everything was looking up. Smiles and laughter were all you could see.

“...and he said what?!” Alex laughed.

“Lee said, ‘have fun with the person you hate for a week.’ and I said, ‘I don’t hate him.’ and he said, ‘whatever you say.’ Can you believe that?!” Thomas chuckled.

“Charles Lee is such a pain,” Alex rolled his eyes.

“Yeah.”

“Hey, can I ask you something?” Alex turned to look at Thomas.

“Sure, what’s up?”

“Do you ever think of Macaroni?”

Thomas hesitated for a minute, remembering their puppy they lost last year.

“Occasionally,” he answered. “You?”

“Yeah, I think about him a lot. I really miss him.”

“I miss him too. I just hope he’s somewhere safe,” Thomas told him.

“Yeah, me too. I remember cuddling him with you and all the good times,” Alex smiled.

“Mmhm.”

Alex chuckled for a bit before he died down. The two were quiet for a bit. The quiet sounds of the radio in the background and the nature outside them were slowly lulling Alex to sleep.

“Feel free to go to sleep,” Thomas laughed, seeing him dozing off and waking himself back up. “This is a long drive and you don’t have to keep me occupied.”

“M’not tired,” Alex said through a yawn.

Thomas smirked, “Yeah you are. Go on, it’s past your bedtime anyway.”

“Are you my dad?” Alex rolled his eyes.

“Stop! You did not just make a Steven Universe reference!” Thomas giggled.

“Steven Universe?”

“Oh, you know, the Crystal Gems and the half-kid, half-gem?”

“Never heard of it, or seen it,” Alex leaned on the window, eyes slowly closing.

“Oh, come on! We are totally binge watching the entire series this week.”

“I’m not against that. I can get free cuddles,” Alex yawned again.

Thomas laughed and shoved him gently. “I’m charging a quarter for every cuddle I give you.”

“You don’t mean that,” Alex challenged.

“Wanna bet?” Thomas raised an eyebrow.

“...nah,” Alex mumbled.

Thomas smirked as it got quiet again. Thomas couldn’t help the small giggles whenever he heard Alex snore a bit before he jolted awake and repeated the process until he actually dozed off.

It was gonna be a long trip.

~~~

Alex woke up before around midnight. He blurrily looked around at his surroundings. He yawned and stretched a bit before he groaned and attempted to make conversation.

“What time is it?” he yawned again.

“Almost eleven,” Thomas replied. “Hey, how was your nap?”

“Good. How long was I out?” Alex rubbed his eyes tiredly.

“About two hours.”

“So we have three more hours to go?”

“That’s how math works,” Thomas smirked.

“Are you tired? I can drive for a bit-”

“You don’t know how to drive, and I’m fine. I’ve done this before,” Thomas shrugged. “I’m just gonna probably be knocked out on the couch when we arrive.”

Alex laughed. “That’s my job!”

“Yeah…”

The conversation died down. Alex turned to look out the window. He sighed, quickly getting bored.

With an idea, he turned to look at Thomas. “Hey, wanna play a game?”

“Hmm, what kind of game?” Thomas asked.

“I dunno...truth or dare?”

“It’s kinda pointless when there’s only two of us.”

“Aww, come on. It’ll be fun. Ask me first.”

Thomas sighed. “Fine, truth or dare?”

“Dare!”

“I dare you to...I dunno, there’s not much you can do in a car,” Thomas shrugged.

“Fine, truth then.”

“Tell me...if you could go back in time and change one thing, what would you change?” Thomas asked.

“No doubt, I would never let Laurens get to me so I wouldn’t cause you any heartbreak,” Alex answered easily.

“Hmm...I wouldn’t change that.”

“What? Why not?”

“If you hadn’t have cheated on me with Laurens, we wouldn’t be on our way to Monticello,” Thomas shrugged yet again.

“I guess that’s true...what about you? What would you change?”

“If I had to choose what to change...hmm...I’d probably change the way I reacted to my father’s death.”

“Really?”

“Yeah...I shouldn’t have taken it that seriously.”

“Well, if you hadn’t have taken that seriously, James Madison wouldn’t be your best friend,” Alex pointed out.

“Right...then, I wouldn’t change anything. I think I like my life the way it is.”

“Yeah...me too,” Alex agreed. “Um...who is your celebrity crush?”

“Oh, easy! Lin-Manuel Miranda cuz he looks exactly like you and he’s extremely talented!”

“Mine is Daveed Diggs also cuz he looks like you and he’s a pretty good rapper,” Alex laughed.

They continued asking truth questions for about an hour before silence fell again.

~~~

(863 words)

Sorry for breaking the 4th wall at the end, lol. I hope you all enjoyed this! If you did, you know what to do! Love you guys and see you all on Friday! Bye!