Chapter 20: Visiting the Family

WEDNESDAY

“Do I look okay?” Alex asked for the hundredth time.

“You look great. It’s just a dinner with my family, nothing to worry about,” Thomas rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, but they’re rich and classy, and I...I’m just-”

“Hey, they aren’t the rich, snobby ones. They’re genuinely kind, I promise,” Thomas reassured. “And if you feel uncomfortable in any way, then we’ll leave.”

“O-okay, thanks. It's just...sometimes I feel so...insecure when I'm around rich people cuz of my background.”

“Oh, I know where you're coming from,” Thomas smiled. “If I were...less privileged, I’d probably be nervous too.”

“What if they don't like me?” Alex asked worriedly.

“They’re gonna love you,” Thomas hugged Alex and wiped the little tears that fell from Alex’s eyes. “I know they will. Now, can we knock on the door?”

“Yeah.”

Thomas rang the doorbell and almost instantly the door opened.

“Good evening, Mr. Jefferson and Mr. Hamilton, if I am correct,” the butler welcomed, “Do come in.”

“Thank you, Geoffrey,” Thomas said and walked in with Alexander close behind.

“THOMAS!!” squeals rang through the house and suddenly he was attacked by a lot of bodies.

“Whoa! Hey, guys!” Thomas laughed and accepted the big group hug.

“We missed you so much!” a little boy, around Anna’s age, spoke with a glimmer in his eyes.

“What are you doing here?” a teenager asked. “You’re supposed to be in college!”

Thomas smiled and started to introduce Alexander.

“Some of you have met Alex, but for those of you who haven’t, this is my friend, Alexander Hamilton.”

“Hi,” Alex waved shyly.

“These are a few of my siblings. You know Elizabeth and Anna already, but these are Martha and Randolph. If you couldn’t tell-”

“Randy and I are twins!” Anna cheered.

“Really?” Alex raised an eyebrow.

“Yup!” Randolph replied.

“That’s really cool.”

“Guys, where’s mom?” Thomas asked.

“In her room as usual,” Elizabeth said with a sad look on her face. “She’s been getting worse.”

“Well, maybe seeing me might cheer her up a bit,” Thomas said hopefully. “Alex, do you mind staying down here for a bit? My siblings can give you a tour and introduce you to the others.”

“Okay, may I ask what’s wrong with your mom?” Alex asked worriedly.

“She suffers with depression. It started when dad passed away and...you know.”

“Aww, I’m sorry,” Alex placed a hand on Thomas’ back, rubbing it in comfort.

“It’s not your fault, but thanks for the concern,” Thomas smiled and pat Alex’s head. “I’ll be off. Kids, you take care of him.”

“I’m an adult,” Elizabeth crossed her arms.

“Me too!” Martha piped up.

“Not a real adult if you can’t drink alcohol,” Thomas winked before heading up to his mother’s room.

Alex rolled his eyes.

“Come on! Let’s introduce you to Jane and Mary!” Anna grabbed Alex’s hand and dragged him to what looked like the living room.

~~~

Thomas knocked on his mother’s door.

“I’m coming in, it’s me, Thomas,” he said and opened the door to see a dark room. “Momma?”

“Tommy? S’that you, dearie?” asked a voice from the bed.

“Of course it is, momma. My God, it's been so long,” Thomas smiled and went to hug his mother.

“Tommy, you're here,” his mom, Jane, started crying and hugged her son tightly. “I missed you so much, darlin’.”

“I missed you too,” Thomas hugged her back, tears falling out of his eyes as well.

After a moment of just hugging and crying, Jane spoke again.

“So, what are you doing home from college?”

“Oh, uh, well, it’s a long story, but you’ll meet the reason in a bit,” Thomas smiled.

“You’ve got that lovesick smile on, so it must be someone special,” Jane smiled a little at the blush on Thomas’ face.

“Momma.” Thomas groaned and rolled his eyes. “Are you gonna join us for dinner?”

“Of course! I wouldn’t wanna miss the occasion, honey. My baby boy is home!”

Jane ruffled Thomas’ hair before sitting up. Thomas offered his hand to her and she gladly accepted it. Thomas led his mother down the stairs. When they arrived downstairs, they headed for the dining room.

“Mama! Tommy! Look!” Anna cheered as Randy dragged Alexander to the dining room.

“Oh my word! What did they do to you?” Thomas burst out in laughter.

“I, uh, made the mistake of letting them do my hair,” Alex blushed. “Is it really that bad?”

“No, it’s perfect!” Anna cheered.

Braids were everywhere and bows were stuck in various places in his hair. Alex deadpanned at Thomas’ face, which showed that he was trying to hold back laughter, but failing miserably.

“I think it looks beautiful, Anna,” Jane smiled at her kid.

“Oh, you must be Ms. Jefferson. Hello, my name is Alexander Hamilton, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I hope you’re doing well and all, despite your depression-oh, I shouldn’t have mentioned that, should I? S**t, oh, I’m sorry I probably shouldn’t curse either. Uh, sorry, I’m not making a really good first impression, am I? I-”

“Alex, shut up,” Thomas facepalmed and shook his head. He turned to his mother. “I apologize for him. He kinda has a no brain-to-mouth filter.”

“No, it’s alright. I like him,” Jane giggled a little.

Alexander blushed and smiled. “Really? Thanks, ma’am.”

“You always have that charm, Alex,” Thomas laughed.

“Dinner’s ready!” Mary called and placed a big steaming bowl of macaroni and cheese on the table. “And it’s your favorite, Thomas.”

“So. Much. Macaroni.” Thomas licked his lips almost lustfully.

“Whoa...Tommy, you okay?” Alex asked concerned.

“He always does this when he sees so much mac and cheese in one place,” Jane rolled her eyes.

“Francophile,” Alex muttered and sat down in a chair at the table.

“I heard that, Lexy, but I’m choosing to ignore it,” Thomas glared at Alex before turning back to the big bowl of mac and cheese. “I have a date with destiny.”

~~~

(1000 words)

I'm sorry, I don't know how depression works!! One more chapter to go! We made it guys! I hope you all enjoyed this and if you did you know what to do! Love you guys and see you all on Friday! Bye!