Chapter 1- You can't be her

Dedicated to my Best Friend For Life in_reality_4.

Have you ever thought something was a good idea then realise you're having second thoughts but can't back out?

Well, I'm in that situation right now. I'm just your typical 18-year-old who wants to forget the past and just get by in life.

I'm standing outside an ornate cream coloured door to a mansion, only holding a suitcase and a letter in my hands. No, I'm not a multi millionaire's daughter coming back from an amazing holiday on my private island, I'm just Hazel, who happens to have been employed by Mr and Mrs Powers who are billionaires. They want me to look after/ keep an eye on their son who is none other than Adrian Powers, someone I wanted to steer clear of. My stomach twists, Adrian is your typical rich kid who has an ego that couldn't get any bigger, so why did I agree to this?.

I groan at the situation loudly, I don't even know myself. Maybe it's because his parents offered to pay for my University placement, something I wouldn't otherwise have been able to do without swimming in debt for the rest of my life. That's one thing I would never be able to say no to. 

They were desperate for someone to accept anyway because despite their efforts they haven't been able to mould Adrian into the golden boy they wanted to carry on their legacy, He's quite the opposite actually, he has a reputation of being a trouble maker who doesn't know the meaning of good and has broken every rule I can think of. They were actually pretty nice and didn't boast about their wealth in front of other people apart from rival businesses, something Adrian wouldn't know how to do, he's that arrogant.

I shouldn't have accepted though because I know he has a track record of being such a trouble maker and so bad that every other person who has tried to 'look after him' has quit within a day sometimes even less but I'm determined to break that record.

Finally, I gather enough courage to place my finger against the glass door bell and press it. I hear the chime of the bell echo through the mansion, looking around the beautiful garden as I wait.

"Who are you? " grows a low voice. I whip round to face Adrian, which is shocking I thought he never opened his own bedroom door let alone the front one. He has a tousle of messy brown bed head and looks like he's had a hangover.

"I'm Hazel, " I answer as politely as I can make it sound trying hard not to remember what happened...before. He scans my face with his dark cloudy eyes.

"I don't know you," he remarks before closing the door. I stop it shutting with my foot and push the door open again.

"Well your Mother hired me to look after you, but mostly keep you out of trouble, " I explain as I invite myself in, without a second glance at Adrian.

"So you're the new maid or something," He says still staring at me as I glance around.

"Nope, more like a babysitter whilst your parents are away, I can see why they don't trust you." I gestured to all the rubbish strewn across the floor of what I assume is the living room. There are empty bottles of alcohol littering the floor, and it reeked of smoke. Photo frames, plant pots even plates were all smashed.

"You've already had a party and your parents haven't even been away for a day, no wonder you have a hangover, " I mused.

"Ugh, I don't need a babysitter, I'm 18  I can look after myself," He yelled, running his fingers through his hair clearly annoyed.

"Well, you're stuck with me, trust me I really don't want to be spending my time babysitting a troublemaker but I need the money for Uni," I say as I place my suitcase down. "Here," I pass him the letter in my hand. "Your Mother told me to give this to you,"

He aggressively tore it open before scanning it, "What, you're staying here with me!"

"Not my idea your mother's,  apparently you can't look after yourself properly. She said that when your Father and she were away you would always be drunk, never be able to make any proper food without anyone else's help and get arrested at least once, her words not mine." I say as I slump down on one of the sofas.

"So she thinks you," he glares at me, "Will be able to handle me when so many  have failed," he smirks "not a chance,"

"As arrogant as ever Adrian, trust me I can handle you," I roll my eyes at him. 

He slumps down next to me wrapping an arm around me whispering, "At least you're cute, I might keep you for a while," Ugh, who does he thinks he is. I lift his arm off my shoulder and get up. He's shocked, hmm probably never been rejected before.

"Not going to work on me you're going to have to try harder. I know you're a player and normally have girls drop to your feet but I'm not going to fall head over heels for you Adrian, especially because you think you can just get anyone you want," I cross my arms glaring at him,"Oh  and you can't just 'keep' girls we're not objects we're people but people like you wouldn't understand that."

He stands up returning my icy stare, only inches away from me, "And what would you know about me,"

"Everything, you see I've known you my whole life but because you think your all that and can just walk all over people who aren't as lucky as you, you don't know me. Come on," I scan his face for a reaction just seeing those dark eyes boring into my light brown ones shielded by my leopard print glasses, "Think hard where have you seen this face before,"

For a while he just towers above me staring, trying to figure out exactly who I am, "you can't be," he finally whispers in shock.

"Oh, I am," I reply seeing as the shock spreads across his face as he realises exactly who I am, " I'm that shy scholarship girl you and your stupid little gang would bully." I snap. "Because I was different, I didn't  have rich parents like everyone else God, I didn't even know who my parents were. People were always congratulating me on being the first person to ever get a scholarship into that Goddammed Private School but it was the worst thing that could've happened to me. I was already picked on because I was in care by everyone but it became a whole lot worst when I stumbled across your path didn't it?"

"But you can't be her, she didn't wear glasses," he murmured still not breaking eye contact with me. 

I give a bitter laugh, "I'm surprised you even noticed, I wore contacts just so people didn't have another reason to bully me,"

"But-" he stammers.

"But what Adrian, finally feeling guilty for what you did." he opens his mouth to say something but I stop him, "Save the apologies I'm here for my revenge," I smile sweetly before picking up my suitcase and walking off into the main part of the mansion.

Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea? I can finally get some payback! He's so going to regret ever speaking to me.

Note to reader:

I thought of this idea on the bus. 

I know I'm already writing two other books at the same time which is crazy but I just wanted to try something different. I was debating for a while whether I should start writing it and publish it with the two other book still being ongoing and decide it's nearly summer and I'm going to need to have a project to occupy me with instead of just binge watching tv series even though that is a good option too.

This is a genre I wanted to try out. It's really different from my other books even though Amina and Hazel have both been bullied before their for very different reasons, so it's not that similar in that sense. Life Goes on Without You is about Amina finding herself again and this book is about Hazel getting her own back.

So I'm going to post two chapters to see whether people like it or not, it's just for a change because my other books have reached the mid point where I really need to think about where things are going and plan out what exactly what is going to happen.

(I previously unpublished this story but decided to re publish it but just as a warning updates might not be as frequent as my other stories)

Please, tell me what you think.

Hope you have a lovely day and if you're feeling sad I hope this made you smile!

Lavender