Chapter 13-How could you..?

Hazel

Grief seemed to consume me as I thought about what could possibly be in that letter that I couldn't see. I leaned back against the wall of the warehouse, tracing the cracks that spread across the cinder blocks as a way to distract myself. I couldn't stop and cry now there were more important things to think about like how I was going to find out what the heck was in that letter.

Hastily, I stood up from my crouched position almost forgetting that I was still clutching the soft fabric of Adrian's jumper. My heart sunk. All I could think about was why? Why had he done all that to me? Hiding the truth behind my family, relentlessly making me feel worthless and why for a moment had he changed to be sweet and kind. It was all so confusing but I didn't need that I didn't need to think of the why. Maybe it was better that he was gone. It was stupid of me to think of getting revenge. Look at what I had gotten myself because of it. But I couldn't get myself to truly he love that. No matter how much I denied it I didn't want him to go not without an explanation or a reason or something.

Still I held onto the hoodie.

My tears had now dried it was time to get to the bottom of this. There were people targeting me because of my involvement with Adrian and something to do with the letter left with me when I was a child.

I got up from the floor with a new sense of determination there was no more time for tears. My sorrow would not end with them, it would only increase if I left this.

I stormed over to the entrance of the warehouse. If Adrian wasn't going to tell me I would find out another way but I wasn't about to let him just disappear.

I paused hearing murmuring at the door. Pressing my back against the side of the door, I glance outside to see two silhouettes.

Straining my ears so I can hear what they are saying , I am able to pick up a few things. I hear the name Ethan and I try my best to figure out who that is. I think I remember an Ethan her was a nerdy kid who was another victim of Adrian's. I still remember vaguely he had been one of the kids that Adrian used for his own gain.

Another surge of anger burns through me, how could I have forgotten the terror he had put me and others through but all I could think about was how he had changed. But he hand't had he?He had still kept things from me that I had a right to know if he had truly changed then I wouldn't be here still left wondering what my involvement was I wouldn't even have been involved in the first place. I didn't even know how to feel anymore.

"Tell her I'm sorry for everything..." Was all I needed to here to get out of my small hiding position. Oh he was not going to get way with leaving without a word to me. I deserved and explanation. If he wasn't going to apologies he was going to apologise to me directly not through someone else.

I rushed out of the warehouse straight towards the two figures, "And where do you think you're going?" I shouted after his retreating figure. Not even pausing to glance at who I assume is Ethan.

He paused, shoulders rigid and tense before they relaxed, "It's better this way," was all he managed to get out. His voice so lost and unconvincing.

"Better what way Adrian? You can't just up and leave and expect me to be okay with that. I deserve and explanation. I deserve more than an explanation I deserve to know. You can't just run away from this. No matter what resentment I hold towards you we're still in this together. There are still people after you and me. You can't just go..." I trailed off the conviction leaving my breathless voice.

I felt a hand brush against my shoulder and whip around to face Ethan his pale green eyes full of concern, "Let him go," he says those three simple words as though it's the easiest thing in the world to do. How can I let the only way to find out who my parents are walk away?