Chapter Six-Is this your cousin?

Adrian

She stormed off leaving me behind in the clearing. The sky had become even darker the moon hidden behind a cloud and suddenly everything did seem to be dark and eerie so I ran after her.

"Hazel-" I began but she cut me off immediately. 

"I don't want to hear it, if I wanted some sappy apology I would've asked for one but I don't so can you just stop act like you care about me because it's not going to work ever." She sent another icy glare towards me before walking towards the street, illuminated by the pale orange glow of car head lights.

"Where are you going?" No reply. What's wrong with her she's walking back in the direction we came from? Where the people who are shooting us are.

"You're literally walking back to where the shooting came from!" I shouted but she continued to walk. I sprinted up in front of her cutting her off. "What the hell are you doing?"

"I told you we need to move," she breathed.

"By going back in the direction the shooting came from?"I repeated as though she hadn't heard it the first time.

She took a sharp breath, "I'm going back this way because it leads to a hotel that we can stay in for a day," She glowered at me before adding, "I'm not stupid you know. Why would I walk towards danger. Unlike you, I  actually do have the common sense to stay away from people who are in gangs and stuff like that. Now if you could please move out of the way so we can get out of here."

I edged away and she continued to walk without a second glance at me. If we're going to survive this, we're going to have to trust each other whether she likes it or not. The thing is I have no idea how to make her trust me because she definitely doesn't.

It only takes a few minutes to walk to the hotel. It looks pretty quiet which is good. As we walk towards the red coloured reception gilded with a gold rim I pull out my card to pay for our rooms but Hazel stops me. 

"You can't use that," she snapped, taking out her own card.

"Why?"I'm actually really confused this is probably the most courteous thing I've ever done and she's stopping me?

"Look, these people will obviously be able to track your card if they are as dangerous as they seem. So every time you use it it's going to tell them exactly where we are or where we have been, that's what's going to get us killed." That makes a lot of sense but how does she know all this?

"Because of books, you should read more you know," What, I said that out loud? 

 As I walked forward,  the receptionist smiled at me and twirled her thick red hair between her fingers.

"How can I help you?"She batted her eyelashes at me and then Hazel walked up to. I don't know why but she looked offended, then smiled again, "Is this your cousin?"

"N-" I began to say but Hazel stamped on my foot hard. I gritted my teeth to stop myself from yelling out in pain because that actually hurt, but I'm not going to tell her that.

"Yes, we're cousins, I'm Hazel and this is," she stared at me for a moment then added, "Aridian,"

The receptionist turned around to get some paper and I mouthed, "Aridian?"

And she smiled and mouthed back, "It's your new name,"

"Here you go," she held out a clipboard that had two key cards on them and a form, "Just fill this out to say how many days you're staying and write your full names at the bottom."

For a moment Hazel bit her lip as she picked up the pen. Quickly writing down the information, she paused when it came to writing down her full name. The pen hovered a bit before she scrawled down Hazel Harthorn. 

I really didn't know a thing about her apart from the fact she's pretty short tempered. Harthorn?

Then it hit me, she didn't know her last name so she must've had to choose one to stick with, I decided not to ask her about it, I didn't want to give her one more reason to hate me.

"You need to write a fake name otherwise everyone will know it's you," She whispered as she passed me the pen.

So I wrote Aridian Parker because I really couldn't think of anything better. We took our key cards and Hazel paid.

As we walked to the elevator, Hazel stared at our room cards. "Hey look, we're on the 13th floor."

"Why does that matter?" She looked at me as though I was crazy. "Didn't you know most Hotels don't have a 13th floor because it's a number that brings you bad luck apparently.

I smirked, "I didn't see you as the superstitious type," the elevator opened, we stepped in as doors slammed shut behind us."Hey, because we're going to the 13th floor do you think we'll be murdered in this elevator?"

She laughed, "I hope not based on the fact we're literally running away from murders." Yep, that wasn't the best thing I could've said.

"Anyway, 13 is my favourite number," 

"Why?"

"Everyone else thinks it brings bad luck but I think it's just people blaming a number rather than themselves," she explained as we walked out of the elevator onto the 13th floor.

Note to reader:

I hope you like this chapter.

Do you have a favourite number?  I have three which is weird, 7 because there are 7 Harry Potter books and  11 and 13-all odd because I'm odd as in really crazy and weird but that's' what makes me unique, like how everyone is unique in their own way.

Sorry, this chapter is a little shorter than my other ones, I'm planning on making the next one longer because well.

Trouble is still coming...

P.s The title will make more sense soon.

Hope you have a lovely day week and year in general.

Lavender