Chapter 15-Shoot to kill

Hazel

"Where are you taking me?" I tried to put as much conviction in my voice as I could but it still came out as a scared rasp. Now was not the time to be scared.

"All in good time darling," his voice was a cruel whisper that sent a wave of chills down my back. I couldn't see his face it was masked by a black cloth that only left his eyes. They were a washed-out shade of green but that was all I could see. From that, I couldn't recognise whether I knew him or not from school or anywhere else. It was a lost cause to try and figure out who this guy was. Even if I was able to I hadn't been in town for two years so I doubted it would be of any use.

My arms were still bound behind me, I felt the itch of the skin beneath. I had already rubbed it raw by struggling against them but it was futile just like everything else at this point. 

The dimly lit room housed nothing but metal chairs, a table and a single silver gun. I was pushed forwards, one foot tripping over the other as I attempted to regain my balance. I took a sharp intake of breath to prevent my eyes from watering. A vulnerable whimper would be all it took to break my facade of strength. I would not cry or show the fear that ran through my blood. Fear that kept my heartbeat frantic and my actions unpredictable.

"Sit," was the single-worded command I was given. With my hands still bound, I roughly pulled the metal chair back before one of the other people could pull it out for me: all of their faces remained covered an array of different frayed material. I saw a hint of amusement in the amber eyes of the guy that had reached to pull the chair out as I made a show of taking my own seat.

My gaze didn't waver as I focused on those menacing green eyes before me. To an outsider, it would've looked like an outburst of confidence but for me, it was a way to avoid the incessant feeling of foreboding looking at that silver gun.

The silence was left to simmer for a while before my captor spoke, "Leave," he gestured to the five or so other men encircling us. My heart was on overdrive pummeling hard against the walls of my chest.

Without a word they left. It was terrifying the amount of power one person could have over so many. 

It felt more claustrophobic with only the two of us. Despite avoiding the presence of the gun before me, it was a glaring stain on my peripheral vision. Silence, stretched so loudly between us I started to yearn for words to be uttered whether they were threatening or not. 

I couldn't handle it anymore.

"What do you want from me?" I spat finally admonishing the silence that gnawed at me. He simply continued to stare at me before breathing a heavy sigh. I tensed as he leant forward against the steel table. The look in his eyes was cold but there was something else like boredom that swirled in those iced irises.

"It's more of a question of what you can do for me Hazel Harthorn," he stated holding my gaze.

"And what would that be?" I decided to play into the question to try and get a sense of what this masked persons plan entailed.

He leant back in his chair as though he was analysing me. I did everything I could to not shrink back under his scrutiny. Emulating his movements, I leant forward resting my elbows on the table ever closer to the silver weapon. The move seemed to amuse him. 

"I need you to help me with Adrian. He's quite a troublesome person isn't that right Hazel?" he left the question hanging in the air. It was always the things left unsaid that weighed on me the most. He was sending the message that he knew far more about me than  I had expected.

"I don't have a clue what you're talking about. I'm curious why you would think I would help you with anything," though my voice held firm with false confidence my hands began to shake slightly on top of the table. I gripped them together to stop the shaking hoping he had not noticed. Hoping never really did much for me so as I expected the trend continued.

"You seem a little scared there Hazel," it was mockery I knew all too well. It reminded me of how Adrian would speak to me before. A voice full of spite, sneering at you for things you couldn't control. Fear is something that had been instilled in my mind for far too long and I wasn't going to let it make me falter.

"That's exactly what you want, don't you? Fear. That's the purpose of this isn't it," without thinking the action through I grabbed the gun pressing it firmly between my palms. Feeling its weight and the metal biting against my skin. I stilled my hands so they no long shook pointing the weapon straight at my captor.

"Isn't this a turn of events," he didn't seem at all fazed by the gun pointed right between his eyes.

Waning forward he made sure that the barrel was now pressed against his skin. He was far too close as he whispered, "Go ahead, Hazel. Fire. I dare you."

My heart pulsated wildly against my chest as my finger made its way to the trigger. My breath became laboured as I was frozen in place unable to comprehend the situation before me.

One simple act of pulling the trigger could get me out of here. But could I do that? After everything being dragged here forced to choose between myself and others being mocked and pushed around I don't think I would be able to.

I couldn't pull that trigger and that might just cost me everything.

Note to reader

I haven't written in a long time and I'm sorry for not uploading in a while I'm just not really sure about some specifics regarding my stories. 

But I hope you liked this story things are getting a bit heated now but I'll try my hardest to update some of my stories sooner.

Have a great day!

Lavender