Chapter Six.

Lillian was alone as she waited in the waiting room of the ultrasound building called 'First Glimpse'. Lillian thought they could have come up with a better name but that wasn't really the problem here.

The problem was Ryan had bailed out on her. He told her last week when he called his cousin up he'd be there. But no! Suddenly something with Jeanette came up but Lillian knew the real reason.

Because he probably didn't tell them the whole thing! He probably 'forgot' to mention he was the father. He probably just mentioned her as his friend and that she needed help and blah, blah, blah.

He talked about wanting to be there and crap, but he won't even come for the first ultrasound of his child?

Lillian tried to let it go knowing this would happen but the thought still irked her.

She felt awkward being in this place. Two couples were here looking at brochures but Lillian felt their gazes here and there and their hushed judgments. She sighed heavily and placed her hand on her stomach.

My child, she thought and it sounded so funny to her. She looked at the one woman who looked like she could pop any moment now and Lillian couldn't see herself getting that big!

But she knew she would.

Maybe bigger.

One of the ultrasound room doors opened, 'Lillian Monroe," her name was called by a lady. Lillian got up from the chair and walked over to her. The lady smiled, "Hi, I'm Hannah, I'm Ryan's cousin girlfriend." she said, holding her hand out to Lillian.

Lillian put her hand in hers and shook it, "Hi," she said awkwardly and Hannah raised an eyebrow. "Sorry, I'm a little nervous." she admitted, putting her hands on her stomach. This was going to be the first time she was going to see him or her. She knew she probably wouldn't see much, but still!

Hannah chuckled, "Happens all the time, believe me. It's okay it's a good feeling when you see him or her. Precious."

Precious, Lillian thought. That's what her baby is, precious.

Lillian nodded and followed her into the room. Hannah told her she could lay down on the bed and just pulled her shirt up as she set things up. Lillian did as she was told and before she knew it, Hannah poured some blue jelly stuff on her stomach.

"Ready?" she asked and Lillian looked at her, biting her lower lip.

It doesn't feel real but she knew when she sees this, it will be.

She nodded and Hannah put the device on her stomach, moving it around. "Just got to find him..." she said to herself as she watched the screen and Hannah did the same thing. After a moment, Hannah smiled, "Ah, here he is!"

Lillian mouth opened a little when she saw her baby--well, his tiny hands and head. But there he was. Lillian couldn't help but feel emotional and her eyes watered up. "That's...that's him?" she asked.

"Or her.", Hannah said, chuckling. "But yes, that's your baby."

Tears slid down Lillian's face but she didn't look away to wipe them away.

"Wanna hear the heart beat?" she asked and Lillian nodded. Hannah pressed a few buttons and a moment later, she heard a loud 'thump', 'thump', 'thump' sound over and over again.

Lillian smiled and finally wiped her face clean, "I can't believe it, that's actually what's growing inside me."

"Yeah, take good care of it." she said. "You can come back in two months when your five months and we'll tell you the sex hopefully. What do you and the father want?"