Chapter 13: Evidence

Day 5

I wake up to find myself dripping sweat. I pull myself together and then lean on to the cold brick wall. I'm starting to loose hope of getting out of here. It has been a day but it feels like a week. I decide that if the creepy detective guy decides to help search my evidence before I have to be waiting for a court and a lawyer, I could be out of here before the end of this week. I sit up and take a deep breath. I'm going to get out of here.

I wait impatiently as I look out my cell. I start to see a shadow walking quickly to me. Then suddenly the light comes through. And there is, the detective. He points for the guards to open my cell as I stand a little surprised. They escort me to the room we first had our talk. And then we both take a seat.

"This has been taken a surprise for you have only been in your cell for a day." He says with a little concern.

" We have decided to let you go."

" What! How in the world is this possible. Didn't you say you had evidence against me. And I didn't get to prove I was innocent."

" We have a guy confessing on tape that he killed the girls and had taken evidence from you as DNA."

" So Jack Scotts finally told the truth."

" No, a guy named Samuel Cruz did."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

" I don't understand, who is Samuel Cruz?"

" He is the man who confessed to killing Isabel Marie Smith and Kathrine Patterson."

" How the hell did he get my hair? My point is none of this makes any sense, I had all these theories set up and some evidence along with it. If you would just take a look...."

" There is nothing for me to take a look at Ms. Withers, he had all the descriptions for the murder cases of both girls and which none was on the news if that's what you were thinking. And after all why would he confess and go to jail for something he didn't commit? "

" I don't know Sir, but my evidence is crucial to this case and for whatever motivation this Samuel Cruz had or was given I believe you should take a look." I say concerned.

" Are you saying that you believe Samuel Cruz was bribed to take the blame even for the punishments known to be given." He says questioning what I'm about to say.

" Yes Sir and I believe because of this possibility and the impossible reason for a stranger to find my DNA to use, and your duty of your job, you should take a look at my evidence.

" I will take a look, but I won't promise anything."

" Thank you." I say with a nod.

Half an hour later.

"So would you mind telling me what your evidence is?" I go into my kitchen to find the map I had drawn. As I look around for minutes I realize it's not there. 

" Um did the officers take anything from my place as I left or is everything here as its supposed to be?"

" We haven't touched anything because we didn't have a search warrant and your were only gone for a day until we got the confession."

I start to feel panic in my throat like a lump stuck in there. I look around the table, I go into my bedroom and search the drawers. It's gone. 

" I can't find the list I made about the suspicious things I found. If I tell you guys with another piece of evidence could that work?"

" Sure."  As I go off into my room to find the file about Jacks dad I hear something the detective tells another officer.

" I told you she didn't have any proof." He says with a roll of eyes I see into the far end of the hallway. My faith starts to fade. I go to the safe to get my file. As I type in the code I start to get a nervous feeling something isn't right. As I open it I freeze drop dead, it's gone.

" Officer my things are gone, please make sure no cops have taken things as evidence on accident. I have searched everything inside my safe and my things are gone."

" I can assure you Ms. Withers that none of my guys have taken anything."  As they sit down I begin to talk and share about my findings.

" Your cleverness is very sharp Ms. Withers, but what you say can not be proven. Other than the fact that Officer Scotts and Jack Scotts are related which we all know is true around the station. But since what you said can't be proven, then I will have to go with what Samuel Cruz said. And for your DNA, he claimed to have known Isabel long enough to know you and what you had been doing, he had gotten it from your bed at the hospital. Good day Ms. Withers."

After a few minutes they begin to leave with me finding no use to this. A women that just got out of prison should be happy celebrating, but I'm just unsatisfied.