Chapter 23: Richard & Mom Part 1

" Hey Richard, who is that hot girl across from you?" whispers Rufus.

" I don't know man, just shut up and get your damn work done."

" Boys is there a problem?" says Mrs. Moor. They were in English Literature.

" No everything is a-okay!" says Rufus. He was the player and class clown. A jerk but somehow a childhood friend of Richard.

" Dude that is the second time I got called out. Save the talking for later."

" Okay Mr. Goodie two shoes."

Across from the room Sarah looks up to see Richard staring back at her. They had never talked before. Just looked at each other. She turns her eyes back to her work. But then a smile forms on her face. Richard does the same. And that's when he knew he wanted to know her. Very well.

The bell rings.

As students start to run out of class happy it is lunch time. Richard can't help but too look around for Sarah.

" Hey man what you standing 'round here for. Move your ass I'm hungry!"

Richard moves with the hand wrapped around his shoulders of the shorter version of himself, Rufus. They start walking across the hall as Richard eyes meet Sarah's.

" Hey man that's the hot girl I was telling you about, Sarah, Sarah Withers."

" How do you know her name?" 

" I look at all the hot girls from the yearbook."

Richard gives him a smile and rolls his eyes. 

As the lunch line forms Rufus runs and skips a bunch of people. Then Richard stops Sarah.

" Um hey, we have the same philosophy class together. I was thinking if you wanted we could be partners? I'm interested on your debate and why you chose the side you did."

" Oh okay sure, thanks, but is that the only reason why?"

Richard goes blank and then notices the grin on Sarah's face. He starts to smile back. But off in the distance Rufus notices. He leaves angry and confused. He actually liked Sarah. She wasn't just another girl from his yearbook. She was, different. She was like a breath of fresh air between all the simple girls.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The interview turns out pretty great.  She liked her new boss. The boss was much younger than Ms.Perrish. And definitely nicer and upbeat. She starts walking up the apartment stairs after a long day, tired and nervous if she got the job. Suddenly her blood runs cold when she sees a man fiddeling with her lock. He must have noticed that she was there because he turns around, and then runs upstairs. 

" Hey, come back here!" she yells.

He doesn't flinch, he just keeps running. She finally gives up and goes back down to her floor. As her shaky hands open the door she quickly closes it shut. For a moment she wonders if there might be someone left in there. But she quickly snaps out of that fictional state. As she walks down the corridor, she feels something, and it's not right. She has a pit in her stomach. As she opens her bedroom door, she sees none other than blood covering her bed.

She holds back her breath, as if someone would hear if she made a noise. 

Sweat grows heavy on her back, she begins to feel the room spinning. Her skin itches into a rash. Her heart beat so loud she can't hear anything.  Her mouth runs dry and she starts coughing. 

On the bed, lay a head. It was Richard's.