0.8 | T.S.C

THE SHAKESPEARE CODE  〗

THEY ALL STUMBLED BACK INTO THE OFFICE, still rattled by what they had just witnessed. William rubbed his head, leaning against his desk. He plopped into his chair, which groaned under his weight.

    "I've got your room, Sir Doctor. It's just across the landing." The woman informed them, smiling softly and her hands on her hips. When she received a nod from Martha, she hurried off.

    "Poor Lenny. Most curious of all; the land of Freedonia where a woman cane become a Doctor?" William asked, shocked at Martha's statement from earlier.

      "Where a woman can do what she likes." She crossed her arms across her chest, becoming slightly agitated with William's behavior.

     "And you, Sir Doctor, how could a man so young have eyes so old?" He asked.

    "I do a lot of reading." The Doctor responded flatly, no emotions convoying in his face. William nodded and smiled in return.

   "Tell you what, that's what I do." He drew a faint smile from the Doctor. William's eyes darted to Valarie.

   "And you, you look at him like your surprised he exists. He's as much of a puzzle to you as he is to me." He informed her, Valarie suddenly felt slightly embarrassed. Her eyes darted to the Doctor, who simply stared down at the smaller human. She couldn't read what emotion brewed beneath his eyes; that seemed to be something he was good at, hiding things. But when Valarie felt the embarrassed pink flush up her cheeks, she turned away from his stare.

     "I think I should take off." She mumbled, hurrying from the room and down the hall.

     "I think I should too." Martha mumbled, following her quickly and closely behind as they left the now tension 

       The room fell silent as the women left, the Doctor gazing off into space, deep in thought. William leaned back, eyes flickering over the papers.

     "I have a play to complete." He sighed, standing and walking behind his desk to return to writing.

      "I'll find my answers tomorrow. And I'll discover more about you and this constant performance of yours." William stood, eyeing his work as the Doctor walked out of the room, pausing just under the doorway.

     "Whole worlds a stage." Was his simple response, still not looking at William.

     "That's good. I might use that. Goodnight, Doctor."

      "Nighty-night, Shakespeare."

                      ____________

      The floor groaned as Martha shut the window. The groaning of the wood made the Doctor's entrance obvious, as Martha turned to face him.

      "Not exactly five-star, is it?" She teased. Her smile was weak.

      "We'll manage." The Doctor inputted, pulling the door to.

       "I haven't even got a toothbrush." The Doctor began to pay on his pockets, before amazingly drawing a toothbrush out. He handed it to Martha.