0.30| T.S.O.D

THE SOUND OF DRUMS

TRAVELING THROUGH THE VORTEX without an outer casing was rough. Valarie had gripped tightly onto a different array of limbs when Jack had used the vortex manipulator still on his wrist. Her whole body went rigged as did everyone's, Martha and Jack's hands around her limbs comparable to death grips. They let go once they had escaped the room they were within. Groaning and stretching, bones cracking as it felt like they had held the position forever. In a way, she had. Her head pounded.

"Time travel without a capsule. That's a killer." The Doctor groaned popping his neck. Once regaining some comfortable mobility and loosening up they left alley way they had appeared in. It seemed Jack's vortex manipulator worked the one time it really needed to.

"At least we made it." Jack commented. "Earth, twenty-first century by the looks of it." In fact it seemed to be no later then two or three days after Valarie had left prior. "Talk about lucky." Jack laughed, knowing it could have ended up much worse.

"That wasn't luck, that was me." The Doctor corrected. Only moments prior they all had their bodies pressed against that wooden door, threatened to be eaten alive by what was on the other side. The Doctor had grabbed Jack's wrist, using the sonic on it while shouting for him to hold still. He seemed to have fixed it.

"Well, moral of the story is if you get trapped at the end of the universe, make sure you have an ex-time agent and his vortex manipulator."

"But this Master guy, he has the TARDIS. He could be anywhere, anytime." Valarie commented, her thoughts on this Time Lord.

"No, he's here. I know it."

"But the voice in the TARDIS, that wasn't the Professor." Martha added.

"He must have regenerated. New face, new voice, new body. New man." Jack explained. The Doctor's attention turned to the posters lining the streets. 'VOTE SAXON' seemed to be plastered on every street corner in bold black letters. A homeless man sat beneath one, tapping a four beat rhythm away on his cup. The Doctor had heard that rhythm before.

"But his voice, Jack. I've heard it before. I know I have, I just can't remember where." Valarie added as they stood among the busy city block. Valarie couldn't remember where she had heard him speak before, but she knew she had.

"And if he has changed how will we find him?"

"I'll know it when I see him." The Doctor stated. Valarie's eyes drifted to around her. She took notice in all of the Harold Saxon posters, and suddenly an ugly truth dawned on her.

"We missed the election." Martha added as she soaked in the sight.

"Oh dear god. Saxon is the Master." Valarie said, as tv's on the block showed a news channels broadcast of 'Harold Saxon's return from Buckingham Palace.

"The Master is prime minister of Great Britain." The Doctor was horrified at the idea. On the television the Master then shared a kiss with a woman at his side. "The Master and his wife."

"This country is sick." The Master began. His eyes seemed to stare into the four from all directions, as if he knew exactly where they were and how they were watching. "This country needs healing. In fact, I'd go as far to say what this country needs, is a doctor."

__

They had decided to go to Martha's flat to hunker down for a short period of time. The Doctor began asking for anything, a phone, a laptop, anything. He put his glasses on as Jack pulled his phone.

"Jack, who could you possibly be calling now?"

"Just some friends, but they won't answer." He sounded extremely concerned. Valarie had found Martha's laptop, opening it and pulling a web page up.