🌸C H A P T E R 9

🌻

7 years ago...

At this particular moment, I'm running for my life.

Faster and faster I bolt deeper and deeper into the hood. My calves burn the faster I go. Tears fly behind me as I go.

I've had enough of the abuse.

"Adam get your ass back here!" An all too familiar voice shouts at me from behind. I gulp and keep running until I dart behind an old crack house.

I could still hear the yelling faintly. I peek out towards the direction I was running towards. The house I was running to had all the lights off, except one room. I smirked a bit and turned to run to get to the house in the other direction.

The faint yelling finally stopped and I darted across the street to the house.

I did my special knock, two quick knocks with one more following it. I recieved the same pattern. The door swung open revealing the love of my life.

Adrian Calloway.

My first boyfriend.

He was older than my 16 year old being. He had just turned 18, just days away from going to Ohio State on a football scholarship.

I ran into his arms with tears in my eyes, taking in the moment of me embracing the love of my life.

He guided me inside, my knees buckled so he hoisted me up and placed me on the couch.

"Bruise?" He asked in his Puerto Rican accent. I loved to hear him speak.

I nodded and he sighed. He picked me up again and carried me upstairs, leading into his bathroom.

He gathered up the first aid kit, wrapping up my knees and ankle.

I grinned a bit, he eyed me everytime he wrapped each wound. His smile was warm and filling. He looked at me again and raised one eyebrow.

"Not talking today?" He asked.

I didn't usually say much of anything around Adrian. He didn't really mind, he could read me really well. He knows what I'm thinking, how I feel, and if I make eye contact.

That's what I love about him.

He grabbed my hand and lead me into his room and he picked me up, kissing my lips in a swift movement. That made me smile, showing all of my teeth. He smiled back at me, he kissed me again. This kiss was slow but fulfilling enough to where if he wanted me right now, he could get it.

He slowly laid me on the bed, still kissing me and caressing my arms and the sides of my body. My arms were wrapped around his neck and it slowly moved to his back.

His hands moved slowly to the zipper on my pants, where he swiftly removed them as our make out session began to intensify.

Those last few hours were amazing.

We both lay bare in his bed, legs and arms intertwined. I hug him tightly as he strokes my small curly fro.

"Baby, will you call me when you get to college?" I asked.

"Yes," he smiled.

"And will you talk to me every day?" I asked again.

"Yes Adam." He said with a large smile, chuckling a bit.

"Why are you laughing? I'm going to miss you..." I said, slightly pouting.

He smiled and turned over, facing me. "I know sunflower, I know."

I cringed at him calling me that god awful nickname. "Stop calling me that."

"Why baby? You're my beautiful sunflower, you're going to be as tall and as bright as one one day." He said.

I rolled my eyes and turned over. He grabbed me and pulled me to him. "Adam, I love you so much. I promise to talk to you everyday and let you know how things are with me. Its just college, I'm still gonna be the same."

I slowly nodded and he kissed my forehead.

Why didn't I see then that it was all a lie?

4 months later...

It was the day that Adrian comes home for fall break. He told me a few weeks ago that he was coming home.

He started acting really bizarre, we would argue, he wouldn't answer my calls or texts, it was just plain weird. I've left him alone for a few weeks so when I see him I hope things go back to normal.

I got up and snuck out of the house like I always do. It was 6 at night and the street was dark.

I ran all the way to his house. There were two cars parked in the drive way, his car and some Audi. I shrugged and did my signature knock.

No answer.

I did it again.

Still no answer.

I pushed the door slightly to find that it was unlocked.

I slowly pushed the door open and walked inside, I could hear sounds from the upstairs. I was curious, so I tip toed up the stairs.

To my displeasure, those sounds were moaning sounds.

The sounds of a female.

I sped walked down the short hallway and kicked open the door, the girl screamed and jumped off of my boyfriends lap.

She had a surprised look on her face, he was surprised too but barely with emotion.

"You didn't tell me your brother was coming home stupid!" She said and kicked him. "I'm sorry kid!"

"That's not my brother..." He said lowly. I eyed him, he knew exactly what I was thinking.

I stormed out downstairs and outside the house. Adrian tried to run after me but I snatched my hands away from him. The more he tried to grab me, the harder I fought him off. Warm tears trailed down my cheeks, I stared at him one last time.

"I'm not your sunflower anymore Adrian. You hurt me. I'm broken." I said with tears and two balled fists.

I ran back down the street, running and running until I got back to my home. I climbed through my window and cried for hours.

My first love isn't my love anymore.

~

Missed me? -K.C.