Chapter 11: Beginning Mission

Theme Music: "Morph Moth" (Mega Man X2)

(A/N: Anything in between *'s refers to radio chatter.)

Four months later...

As she teleported into the top secret base that was the location of her latest mission. The government facility she was in was void of human life, but had no shortage of robotic security in duty. From surveillance cameras with trip lasers to turret guns.

*Cybil, are you in?*

Her earpiece vibrated with the familiar voice. James, her creator, had been functioning as "mission control" throughout most of her...well, most of her life, actually. To this point, she'd been obeying orders about as perfectly as humanly possible, not giving a thought beyond them.

Of course, Fuller had originally volunteered for the duty, but she had, by instinct, hid behind James the second that was mentioned.

Something about him made her feel really...bad. Whether it was anger or fear, she didn't know.

"Cybil reporting. Safe transport into mission area."

*Good.* The clipped response sounded more relieved than anything. *Do you have visual on the console?*

"A-affirmative." Her voice had caught as she saw the console amidst the lasers and said it. This had happened often, as of late. Her missions had started as basic errands, whether it was delivering packages or gathering information, but became more specific and dubious as time went on. It got to the point that this one involved "recovering" information from a top-secret government base. Despite Cybil's inability to question orders, her body had begun to rebel against them itself.

*Cybil, are you okay with this?*

Really, both of them knew the answer to this, but she produced her usual response: an uneasy silence.

"Beginning mission." Cybil swept the room with her "Threat Assessment" ability. Upon closing her eyes, an x-ray image of the area appeared in her head, with threats and their striking distances (and potential line of sight) being outlined.

Picking her targets carefully, she used herself as a decoy to allow most of the turrets to take each other out. Having to deal with the cameras, she used the Quick Cutter, a boomerang-like gadget to cut them free from their moorings and swiftly destroy them.

The robots were the final obstacle. They were smart enough to be on the alert now, making her mission one of stealth. She made a break for the bookcases filled with various records, quietly bounding from shelf to shelf on her way to her destination.

Shoving a flash drive in the old console that had been her goal, she quickly downloaded the information.

"Mission accomplished. Requesting transfer out."

*Granted. Transferring...*

The world faded from view as she teleported home.