Chapter 28: The Mysterious Boy

Yet another shock wave rang out through the makeshift battlefield as its two combatants exchanged another volley of blows. A tingle went up what Marcia instinctively assumed her spine should've been (however much was actually there organically was anyone's guess). She and Ana were watching two boys, Corrin and Alan, spar.

Having only seen this once before, she still cringed at each and every impact. Ana, however, was still as a statue, locked on to the action.

It was because of actions like these that she wondered who was the real "robot" out of the two of them. Not only that, but it was the way that Ana watched the action which really told the story. Her eyes were on the action in a physical sense, but something about her expression seemed... feigned.

"Ana," she tested, partly to gauge whether or not she was in the realm of reality.

"Marcia," the Asian woman responded, not so much as twitching in response.

Creepy... That was the only response the woman could muster up in the face of that.

"I'm used to that." Ana responded to her thought.

Marcia felt a little agitated. "Can you stop reading my thoughts?"

"As soon as you stop leaving yourself open. Remember that mental block technique I told you about?"

She did. In fact, it wasn't so much blocking out mental invasions such as telepathy as much as creating a "decoy" of false thoughts to throw mind readers off of a scent. Mental walls, as Ana had taught her recently, were harder for most ordinary people to throw up on a whim. Telepaths like Ana had a much easier time.

"Who are these two?" Marcia asked, referring to the ones sparring on the battleground, currently simulating a forest background using incredibly advanced holographic technology.

"I'm surprised you took this much time to ask. Why did you not ask last time we were here?"

To tell the truth, she had been too caught up in the action to say a thing by the time the last session had ended.

"In any case," Ana continued, foregoing an answer. "The 'ninja' in the red suit is Corrin, while the boy in the white training suit is Alan."

From the relative bird's eye view Marcia had, Corrin seemed considerably tall and lean compared to his stout and slightly corpulent opposite.

Though the two were sparring, one wouldn't know it by the way they danced around each other like two seasoned heavyweight boxers, each looking for the deciding blow. There were probably mortal enemies that were less evenly matched.

There was something off about Alan, though... He seemed at times to be distracted until moments before being struck, only to counter or parry the strike.

"You noticed. Finally."

Marcia gave her an exasperated look. "Stop that! And would it kill you to look at me when I'm talking to you?"

Ana did so on both counts, breaking her gaze from their one-way window. "Alan is a very interesting boy. Very creative, but he often needs to be... directed. That's where myself and Corrin come in."

"You take care of him?"

"In a manner of speaking. He's an orphan."

"What?" Now Marcia was intrigued.

"They are not uncommon, especially in a world of people with powers. Some refuse to deal with a powered child and get rid of them for the sake of making their own lives easier. Some fear what they can do."

She looked back down at the action for a moment. Marcia followed her gaze. It looked like things were wrapping up at this point as the holographic imaging was now off and Corrin was now checking on his sparring partner's well being.

"He, along with that issue, has others to deal with."

"What about the blonde boy in red?" Marcia asked.

"He is a local member of The Guardians."

Marcia raised an eyebrow.

"A group dedicated to finding abandoned kids with abilities a place in society. I could tell you more..."

Ana seemed to ponder something for a moment before continuing.

"Better yet, why not meet them for yourself?" Ana then escorted the cybernetic woman downstairs.