Chapter 71: Family Gathering

With Cybil...

Whenever Cybil did picture her little "family" coming back together, it always had been some kind of idyllic scene with white picket fences, a cottage, and the like. As juvenile and unrealistic as it was, it gave her something to look forward to and/or hold on to in times of need.

The current situation that she found herself in was absolutely nothing like her dreams.

"First of all," Max began, speaking rapidly. "amidst all of the chaos, I didn't quite get the chance to properly thank all of you for your help. So there."

The boy in the wheelchair was obviously Ryu (who else would literally have half a body), but the girl  beside him was a new face. The boy stayed quiet, but the girl spoke up.

"No problem! Yeah, so my name's Raelynn, and this is Ryu."

Although the girl's face had a smile on it, she could clearly tell that it was far from genuine. What exactly had they interrupted here?

Max cleared his throat. "Before we go any further, I want to make it clear that I know that we're all related."

Surprised looks were passed around the trio.

"To make a long story short, I like to... check in on the customers that come in. A restaurant really is a fascinating place that never gets old when it comes to people watching."

Cybil knew she was going to have to lay down after all of this was over, provided she got the chance.

"Anyway, I overheard one of your conversations with ninja boy. I realized you were a part of the Guardians. I also realized that the way Cybil and that man..."

"My father, James McDougal," Cybil interjected.

"...were looking at me basically confirmed that they were surprised or... whatever that reaction was... to see me. The clincher in particular, Cybil, was seeing you in action."

"How did you know about the Guardians?" Ryu asked, confused.

Max seemed a bit uncomfortable answering. "It's not really a secret, that group. A lot of supers know about it, as well as non-supers. People maintain an uneasy silence about these things because... Well, people don't like to deal with them."

"How did you hear all this?" Raelynn asked.

The boy pointed to his left ear, a smirk on his face. "Super Hearing. It's a nice little tool that really comes in handy when eavesdropping."

The trio stood/sat in silence, not quite sure how to take all this.

A proper smile came back on the boy's face. "Now, then! With that out of the way, I want to go meet our papa myself. Why don't you lead the way, Cybil?"

Irritation bubbled up in the super agent at the thought of someone other than her calling her creator "daddy", but she did as she was told, with the others following behind her (and Ryu and Raelynn doing so with much unease).