Chapter 35: The Inevitable Meeting

The following morning would change Cybil's life--and the lives of many others--forever.

The girl found herself in the office of a man of whom she'd previously only heard of by word of mouth.

For once, both her Father and Fuller were in the room with her. She felt comforted by one's presence, while the other's sent chills down her spine.

The man she was here for wasn't in, however. This only served to unsettle her more. The anticipation managed only to turn her stomach.

She had been woken up to this news. It was obvious why James had wanted to accompany her, but she had no idea why the "bodyguard" was here.

Taking a quick scan around the room via Threat Assessment, she could find nothing different from a typical office. From the nice leather lounge chair to the west to the oak desk complete with potted plant and a name plate reading "Wester".

This didn't make sense. It seemed way too normal (as far as she could tell) for someone that was literally situated atop a laboratory that ran on forced labor, particularly that of her own father.

She let her guard down just enough to shoot a distressed look back at the other two people in the room. Fuller stood motionless as a stone, while her creator gave her a look of reassurance that didn't quite reach his eyes.

She opened her mouth to ask him what was wrong, but was cut off when Wester walked in the door.

A blonde, mustached man with a superior air about him, he didn't even bother to look at any of them until he had sat down in his chair. Although he was rather short, the way he carried himself would suggest that he was the tallest in the room, looking down over all his peons.

She felt the man's eyes appraise her in a familiar sort of way that brought back uncomfortable memories.

"So, this is your latest model, eh, James?" The question was laden in a British accent. "Interesting. It doesn't look all that interesting. Especially compared to that last oaf you brought in."

Cybil didn't quite know what to say about that, but one look back at James revealed that he was desperately fighting to keep his composure. He was mad, to say the least.

"Anyhow," he went on as if nothing had happened. "What does it do?"

It?

Now she was the one struggling not to get angry. She took some deep breaths in order to calm down. She managed to settle into a stoic looking facial expression.

Fuller stepped in. "She has done a multitude of tasks including espionage, a few counterintelligence ops, and even an assassination. You've seen the records."

Even Cybil knew that he was lying through his teeth. Most of her missions had involved getting something from a certain place and passing information along secretly. She couldn't vouch for counterintelligence, but she knew she hadn't killed anyone...

A certain ghost of a memory chose that moment to haunt her.

Had she?