Chapter 72: A Bittersweet Reunion

James had been too overwhelmed to so much as think about all the events that had taken place over the past few hours. He had expected to meet Max, sure, but everything beyond that had never occurred to him in even his wildest fantasies.

Honestly, it seemed a he was having both a dream and a nightmare at the same time.

"Yo! Papa!"

He came back to reality to find all but two members of his self-created "family" headed right towards him.

Words failed him. In fact, if he was really thinking at the moment, he would have slapped himself to check to see whether or not he was awake.

"I...I..."

Raelynn spoke up first. "Well, where's your copter thing, Daddy? I hope it's able to seat five!"

He noted that Ryu refused to address him as his father hurt him deeply (instead of calling him some form of the word "father", he instead  referred to him as "sir"), but he was too awestruck and ecstatic to care. The scientist decided to shelve his usual angst for the moment. He wanted to enjoy this while it lasted.

***

Unlike the countless painfully quiet and/or depressing flights that had characterized James and Cybil's time together, the copter was filled with the sounds of Raelynn and Max telling stories about their experiences. Thankfully for James, the issue of Raelynn's connection to any of this didn't get brought up.

For the first time in over a decade, James felt like he could really relax...

It was a shame that the flight had to end eventually.

***

The afternoon sun provided little heat as the temperature cooled. Not that anyone in this particular group really cared either way.

The entire group headed upstairs without so much as looking elsewhere. Tyrone and Elena were understandably surprised to see the group.

"Hola, little man," Max greeted his newfound brother, petting his hair.

The psychic boy squirmed under the attention. "S-stop it! do I look like a dog to you?"

Most everyone had a laugh at that. Even Ryu cracked a smile that he covered up as quickly as it came.

The following evening was anything but quiet, as the newfound siblings continued to hang out with each other. While this was going on, Elena pulled James aside into another room.

"This is all well and good," the woman started. She seemed almost hesitant to say the next part. "But it doesn't make up for dragging me and my son into this."

The mood of this room was dark compared to the jovial tidings just a few rooms over. "I...I know that. I can't replace everything you've lost, either."

Elena was silent, though there was a softened irritation present in her gaze.

"I also would love to undo all the damage I've done, even before I walked into your life. But I can't. Besides, doesn't it count for anything that your son is actually happy for once? He's had this miserable, melancholy look about him every time I've seen him, like someone who was terminally ill."

"Isn't he?" There was a grit in her statement that said volumes about James's poor choice of words.

"Sorry. I..I can't promise that I'll be able to figure something out to save Ty... But that doesn't mean that I can't find someone who can. I can promise that I'll try whatever I can.

Elena's expression hadn't changed, but tears streamed down her face. She wiped them away. "You'd better."

James was surprised it took her so long to break down this time. Just how much had he put her through?

"Now if you'll excuse me," she whispered, "I need to love my baby while I still have the chance..."

The woman walked out, leaving James alone. He would have to do the same thing, it seemed. He would have to love them, love them all while he still had the chance.

***

Unbeknownst to most, a familiar imposing presence watched the proceedings with twisted delight.

"Perfect. Better than I could've ever dreamed! Almost all of them handed to me on a silver platter with the unforseen help of that power sapping creature.  All I have to do is give Jimmy Boy the last piece of the puzzle, and then we can really get this show on the road!"