Chapter 98: Desperate Measures

Whoever said that dreams didn't come true was lying through their teeth.

That's the way Max saw it, after all. What else could he use to describe the nightmarish winged monster stalking them all right now.

The others had told him to check on Corrin while they tried to stall that thing. Thankfully, he seemed to be focusing all of his energy on impaling Fuller.

If he was honest, he was now creeped out by that man than anything. He found the boy huddled in a half fetal position, with boxes bracing him up partially. The boy looked dehydrated. In fact, it was a wonder he was still alive.

The ninja opened his eyes, looking more out of it than anything he'd seen before. It took a few shouts to bring him around.

"You..."

"Here, take this." He pulled out a water pill from his pocket. Dehydration was not uncommon where he came from, and this would at least provide a quick fix.

As he let Max put it into his mouth, Corrin chuckled deliriously. "Some... Some ninja I am. I hope this is a Senzu Bean, or something..."

"If only..." Max trailed off. "It'll get some hydration going, at least. Besides, you did put in quite a bit of work. Is there any way..."

"The elevator was torched with Ms. Williams."

He dared to look in that direction, just to see his worst fears confirmed.

A barrage of words from languages he didn't even know streamed from his mouth. He didn't even know what he was saying. All he knew was that felt abject fear and despair.

"Don't worry, man..."

He turned to the boy, flabbergasted. "Don't worry?! We're waiting to DIE here!"

"We're waiting for the calvary to come. I... called the Guardians. They'll be here soon..."

"We might die before then!"

Corrin smiled. "All we gotta do is hold out a little bit longer. Then they'll be here."

"You must be truly delirious!"

"These people have powers. They can get down here pretty easily. It doesn't take much to add the rest up..."

"Why are you so hopeful?" Max asked.

"I...I don't think Fuller would give Wester anything that he didn't booby trap. This is already more than Wester bargained for, and he isn't happy about it..."

That made sense. Fuller seemed to have his own agenda through this whole thing.

"Now, we wait." Corrin coughed.

Max quickly offered him another water pill, which he took with pleasure.

He wrinkled his nose upon smelling the odor behind him.

"What's that smell...?"

"We ninjas may have strong stomachs, but we're not invincible. We have bad days, too. This one just happened to be a doozy." Corrin's smile was sheepish now.

"You threw up..."

"...like a ninja."

"You are a strange young man, you know that?"

"Yup," the ailing boy exhaled.

They could only watch and hope that rescue came soon, and that the rescue operation wouldn't become a search for their bodies...