Chapter 21: Frost Touch

Back with Cybil...

Cybil landed with a thud, buried underneath her unwitting passengers. Surprisingly, the little boy she had caught a glimpse of as they teleported away had been protected, safely clutched within the young woman's hands.

Rolling out from under them, the agent got to her feet and stared at the three in front of them. She quickly noticed a trio of feelings bubbling up inside her: rage, fear, and an indefinable curiosity.

How dare they?! She thought. They have the nerve to interrupt her mission? What in the world are they even doing here? She then notice the very unnatural vapors of whitish fog being emitted from their bodies. What even are they?

"I wish I knew," the older boy stated, unwilling to really look at Cybil. "We... We just wanted to go home..."

Cybil came back to herself in that instant, briefly wondering how she read her mind before realizing something.

She hadn't been thinking. She'd said... No, she had screamed all of that aloud... To them.

She started shaking, rim rod stiff, her mouth opening and closing to no avail. She was malfunctioning like a computer gone haywire. The last thing she saw before her vision went black was two sets of eyes and staring at her, very much stunned in their own right at what they were seeing.

***

Clare and Corey exchanged looks at the downed girl. Part of Claire wondered why she wasn't on the ground with her. This was crazy, right? Teleported off of a mountain, where she'd surely expected to die on by the way, and teleported to some... kind of lab? Where were they, anyway?

As if reading her mind, Cole finally woke up, the toddler beginning to look befuddled at his surroundings.

She wasn't even going to question how he slept through all of this. She had enough on her mind to outlast a million therapy sessions. She just wanted to survive...

"I see the mission was a complete success. And her speech capabilities are coming along quite nicely, too."

A large black man walked past the three of them without a word, standing Cybil up on her feet as if she were a doll and walked her out of the room.

At this point, Corey said exactly what was on her mind. "Tell me this is all some kind of really complicated bad dream, and I'm gonna just wake up in my bed..."

"I wish..." Clare responded rather wistfully.

"Unfortunately for you, this is very real."

The man appeared behind them now, physically more imposing than they had first realized.

"You were her mission, after all."