Chapter 36: The Assassination Order

Apparently, Wester had bought the lie about Cybil having functioned as an assassin, because he moved on easily from that, too.

"She'll be perfect for this next mission."

As Wester dug around in his desk searching for something, James put a reassuring hand on her. It wasn't much, but she did appreciate the sympathy.

Taking out a photo, the disturbed man gave it to her.

"Memorize the face of this woman. She is your target. She must be 'dealt with' for not abiding by our little arrangement."

James and Cybil both look at it, transfixed. The girl started shaking uncontrollably even as James seemed to snap.

"Target?!"

Wester raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

"Yes. Target. Problem, Jimmy?"

"You'd better believe there's a problem! You are not sending my daughter out there to slaughter some innocent woman!"

The sound of Wester's chuckle echoed throughout the relatively small room. "Daughter? You really have gone insane from working down in that laboratory, haven't you?"

"I don't see what's so funny about that. By all means, please enlighten me!" her father's voice was a hiss that almost made her jump.

"I just think you've lost your marbles if you think a sentient puddle of goo can replace your wife..."

Before Cybil could react to that, James was already halfway across the room, lunging at Wester. Fuller, the on the other hand, was standing there with arms crossed and a smirk.

Was all of this a joke to him?

Before James could make contact, Wester put a hand in front of his face.

"Ah, ah, ah. You remember our deal. I hold your grandmother's life in my hands."

All of James's anger melted away, replaced with sheer terror.

"You... You wouldn't dare..."

"I have four certain friends that would. Be reasonable."

It was sickening how calm and collected this man was. It was as if he didn't care about anyone or anything.

"Your wife had that little accident a while ago already. It's bad enough that you have to make such a shabby lookalike as a means of grieving."

James growled, but didn't respond.

"Getting on with the proceedings, you will depart tomorrow. The coordinates will be set in the autopilot of your copter. I expect to hear of that woman found dead by nightfall. You may do it however you wish."

"They'll trace it back to you." James grunted, clearly still not happy.

"Oh, don't you worry about that. I have ways of...having things slip people's minds. Now, off you go."

Cybil found herself led out of the office, as she was still too stunned to move, the photo still clutched in her hands.

After getting back to the new barracks, James broke the dead silence that had characterized the past few minutes.

"I'm sorry you had to see me like that, Cybil. I just want you to know that you are my daughter. That's true no matter what he says. Understand?"

She nodded and he drew her into a brief embrace.

"Father?" Cybil piped up.

"Yes, sweetie?" It was relatively rare for him to call her that.

"If I have to kill this woman, will you still love me?"