Chapter Fifteen:

Haru (1)

It was already sundown and I was sitting alone on the floor. I was thinking about my mother and what she's feeling right now. But, from the corner of my eye, I thought I saw Ruka. However, it was Katara.

"Katara?" I stood up and Katara turned her head to me. "Haru!" She smiled, running over to me and giving me a quick hug.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her. She backed away, "I came to rescue you and Ruka."

I widened my eyes, "So you got yourself arrested?!"

"It was the only way to find you." She replied. I crossed my arms with a smirk, "You got guts, Katara. I'll give you that."

Katara nodded. "Where's Ruka? Don't tell me she's not here with you."

I shook my head, "She's over here. Come on, there's someone I want you to meet."

I lead her over to where my father, Ruka, and three other earth benders were sitting on the floor, eating their dinner.

Ruka

"Ruka."

I turned my head and Katara and Haru were standing side by side. I smiled wide, standing up and running over to my little sister. "Katara! What are you doing here?"

"Coming to rescue you, dummy." She shook her head with a chuckle. We pulled each other into a quick hug and when we pulled away, Tyro was looking over at us. I sat back down next to him, continuing to eat some of the unfortunate soup.

"This is my father, Tyro." Haru introduced him to Katara. "Dad, this is Katara."

Katara bowed slightly, "It's an honor to meet you."

Tyro leaned over and picked up a bowl of the soup we were eating, "Have some dinner Katara." He handed it to her and she took it with a smile, but frowned when she saw the not so appetizing water substance in the bowl.

"It's not as bad as it looks." Tyro said as she sat down on the other side of him. I shook my head, "He's lying."

Tyro laughed lightly, "Alright, maybe it is pretty bad."

Haru walked over to my side and sat down next to me. I smiled, gesturing my bowl to him and he shook his head. I frowned and he sighed, picking up the spoon and taking a sip of the soup. When he made a sour face, I laughed.

"Tyro, the prisoners are complaining that there aren't enough blankets to go around." I turned and there was a man standing above Tyro with his hand on his shoulder.

"I'll talk to the guards." Tyro replied. "But in the mean time, check if the elderly are taken care of. The rest of us will simply have to hope for warmer weather."

The man nodded and walked away. Katara turned her head to Tyro, "If you don't mind me asking, what's your escape plan?"

"Excuse me?" Tyro raised a brow. "You know, the plan to get everyone off the rig. What is it? Mutiny, sabotage?" Katara asked.

"The plan? The plan is to survive. Wait out this war. Hope that one day some of us can get back home and forget this ever happened." Tyro looked down and I put my hand on his shoulder.

"How can you say that?! You sound like you've already given up." Katara's voice got higher, meaning she's about to give some sort of speech.

"Katara, I admire your courage and I envy your youth. But people's lives are at stake here. The warden is a ruthless man and he won't stand for any rebellion. I'm sorry, but we're powerless." Tyro closed his eyes in sadness. Katara furrowed her eyebrows then stood up, "We'll see about that."

We watched as she picked up one of the pot lids and a spoon then walking over to a high, metal table and standing on it. She hit the spoon with the lid several times, "Earth benders! You don't know me, but I know of you!"

Haru whispered to me, "What is she doing?" I sighed, "She's being Katara."

"Every child in my water tribe village was rocked to sleep with stories of the brave earth kingdom and the courageous earth benders who guard its boulders. Some of you may think that the fire nation has made you powerless. Yes, they have taken your ability to bend, but they can't take away your courage. And it is your courage they should truly fear because it runs deeper than any mine you've been forced to dig, any ocean that keeps you far from home. It is the strength of your hearts that make you who you are. Hearts that will remain unbroken when all rock and stone has eroded away. The time to fight back is now! I can tell you that the avatar has returned! So remember your courage Earth benders, let us fight for our freedom!"

Everyone looked away from her and continued what they were going, which some was nothing. Katara's face fell, and I sighed, standing up from the floor and walked over to her. I reached my hand out, "Come on."

She took my hand and I helped her get down from the table. I put my hand on her shoulder, "it's okay, Katara. We'll find a way."