Chapter 21

When I opened my eyes everything was dark, I could see someone running over to me. Ryan. I ran into his arms and he embraced me before looking at me really sad, "Ruby, why? Why would you give up? You shouldn't of done that, I've been watching you since I died, I know how much you've been missing me and I missed you too, but what I missed more is seeing you smile after I was gone. Don't cry for me anymore Ruby, I'm right here." It felt so good to hug him again I never wanted to leave this spot, but he pulled away and looked at my arms. I was still wearing his hoodie but the sleeves were pulled down now, Ryan took my hand and rolled up the sleeve and the cuts were clear and jagged, like a person with no control left and a shaking hand. How could I do this to myself?! Ryan seemed to read my thoughts and sighed, "Ruby! I wish you hadn't of done this just to see me again. I wanted you to live!" He looks at the blackness around us except it's not blackness anymore, it's showing the cemetery. I was laying there with blood on my arms and soaking into the ground around me, the box cutter next to my right hand, it was more of a picture than what was going on at that moment though, as if time had froze. I know what I did, I don't regret it though because now I'm with Ryan again. I just wish I wouldn't of left Dad without saying a proper good bye. I looked up at Ryan and he was looking at me waiting for something, "I'm sorry Ryan, I couldn't be without you. You brought me from my sadness the first time and when you died you took the happiness with you, I didn't want to live in a world without you. You died too early! And it's my fault-" "DON'T Ruby! The only person who's fault it is is Cole's! For driving drunk! I never want to hear you say it's your fault for my death again okay? Don't beat yourself up over what happened to me Ruby." Just then I heard voices, "Ryan?! What's going on? Why do I hear Dad?!" He smiled at me one last time and pressed our foreheads together saying, "While we were talking they were saving you. I died but you can live Ruby. Live for me, be happy." He kissed the top of my head and pulled me into a last hug, "I love you too sis."

The last words I ever heard from my best friend before he faded away into the darkness.