Chapter 15

I slammed the door of the town car after I slipped in. I was beyond pissed at this point. Yeah, sure -- I got a raise. But missing Christmas with my family? Was it worth it? To be completely in charge of all of Eleanor's life?

I'm not sure what I was more crushed by -- having to be completely responsible for my boss and her life, or missing the holiday tradition with my family. There would be no fake arrest, no playing hockey on the pond, no fighting over who sat at which place on the table, no watching It's a Wonderful Life, or meeting my nephew for the first time. Instead, I get to watch Eleanor bitch about the country and her future husband's family while treating him like shit. Just great.

I just let me head fall back in the seat, clutching the stupid flower book I had to give to Harry. I didn't even care at this point that I was crumpling them. How could she be this cold?

It's funny how working for Eleanor is a roller coaster ride -- how one moment she does something that makes you think, "oh, she's not that terrible of a person," only for her to do something like this that makes you hate every fiber of her being. No wonder Stacey sold her out.

The trip to Harry's office doesn't take nearly as long as I had hoped. There was part of me that wanted it to take a full hour in traffic so I could just let my head loll against the cool leather seat and calm my angst. But just my luck, the one day I want traffic, it's not there. It only took 20 minutes for me to get to his office in Beverly Hills.

I grumble to myself the entire elevator trip up his floor, hating Eleanor more with every step I took. But right now do couldn't worry about her. I had t worry about Harry. As I mentally prepare myself to see him, I realize I'm not even in the mood to see him. I certainly don't want to hear any of his stupid jokes today, because I'm mad at him too. In some weird, childish way, this feels like his fault as well. If only he weren't marrying a horrible excuse for a human. If only he weren't previously famous enough to attract that horrible woman that could command getting $15,000 for a surprise photo opp from an assistant. This is his fault.

Okay, that is a little over the top. I know it's irrational and childish to blame him, of all people, but all I wanted to do was go home for Christmas. I needed to go home for Christmas. Harry knew this. He talked to my Dad. He talked to my Dad! What if he knew and let Eleanor imprison me into their Holiday plans willingly!? I'll kill him. Better yet, I'll have my brother kill him.

By the time I get off the elevator, I walk straight through, bypassing the empty reception desk with a scoff and a huff. Of course his assistant isn't there, per usual. Just another thing to add to my list of annoyances for the day. When I got to his door, I knocked briefly, not even waiting for an approval before pushing the door open.

When my heels clicked, I looked up to see Calley, the wedding planner, obscenely close to Harry. They were standing in front of his desk, him casually leaning against it while her legs were slightly straddling his without touching. Here face and upper body were mere inches from him while fixing his tie. My jaw dropped as I stared at the sight of them in such a compromising position. I almost dropped the book I was holding in shock.

Asshole.

Calley noticed me first, a gasp escaping her lips, which caused him to look over his shoulder and see me, his eyes going wide. When the reality of my presence sunk in, they repelled apart like lightning, their distance amplified like two opposing ends of a magnet. Calley quickly smoothed down the front of her blouse and skirt and Harry nervously rubbed the back of his neck as he stood up straight before clearing his throat.

"I--I'm sorry," I muttered, feeling a crimson start to flush all over my skin. I felt like I wanted to throw up.

"No problem," Calley muttered, hastily tripping over her feet as she tried to make a mad dash for the door. "Tie looks fantastic, Harry. And give some thought to that seating arrangement!"