Chapter 72

Oh, fuck.

The pain coursing through my body is intense, dull aches everywhere — but there's an especially deep pain in my head and my heart. And my left wrist.

My awareness slowly comes back to me, blinking hard at the bright lights above me. It's hard to get my bearings with the harsh fluorescents shining in my face.

It's so bright.

I groan, trying to move my pain-free hand up to my face to shield my eyes from the brightness assaulting my senses, but I'm surprised to feel a foreign object locked in it, preventing me from moving it.

I blink hard, trying to adjust to my surroundings. Things slowly come in to focus, and I groan as the pain washes over me more quickly than I was ready for. I let out a whimper as I try to shift, but the object in my hand tightens.

"She's awake."

As things come into focus, I see the deep green eyes I wasn't expecting to see looking at me. As I look down, I realize that foreign object is his hand.

I must be in the hospital.

"Where am I?" I whimper, hoarsely.

"Shhh...you're okay..." he nods, tears in his eyes as he gently rubs his thumb over my knuckles.

I let out a strangled laugh, still not quite caught up with my surroundings. "I don't feel okay," I mutter tiredly.

Harry let out a deep sigh, his head tentatively bowing in sadness. He was just so glad I was okay.

"What hap — " I start, but am interrupted by a doctor walking in.

"Mrs. Styles?"

I blink. He did not bring that fucking tramp here...did he? My mind slowly starts catching up to me, pieces of the words said by Dylan fragmenting in my memory. How dare he marry that horrible excuse of a human being and bring her here, to my hospital bed. I wouldn't even fucking be here if it weren't for her.

I felt a tight squeeze in my hand, Harry interrupting my thoughts.

"Sorry doc, she just woke up. She's a little out of it, still."

The doctor nods, smiling an apologetic smile. He looks over at the other guests in the room, nodding for them to give him a moment with his patient. I didn't even notice there were people in the room earlier, but I distinctly notice Nick, Gemma, and Candy file out one by one.

But I don't see Eleanor.

"Mrs. Styles — we've got a lot to discuss. Let's start with how you're feeling."

I sit still, waiting for Eleanor to pop out any minute, but she doesn't. Harry notices my confusion and pipes up for me.

"Sorry Doc — " Harry explains, "I think she's still in shock. It's been a long day — hasn't it, baby..." he trails, free hand reaching up to push some hair off my face. His thumb brushes over my cheekbone lovingly, but a bruise I have there is tender and the contact makes me hiss.

Baby?
Mrs. Styles?

My eyes flit to his in confusion, our eyes connecting deeply as we have a silent conversation with each other.