Chapter 26

The clock on the nightstand reads 1:36, and I can't sleep. I roll onto my back, letting my eyes peer up at the spackled ceiling and groan. The moonlight was twinkling through the bedroom, calling for me to do anything other than lay here.

Sleeplessness had been plaguing me for hours, most of which had to do with the fact I couldn't muster enough energy to pull myself out of bed before 1 o'clock in the afternoon after our drunken debacle, which left me restless now. By the time I had mustered enough energy to make it downstairs, I had found Eleanor picking at a turkey sandwich in silent anger and Harry nursing a beer and looking as bad as I felt.

Ugh, Harry.

I groaned, rolling over with an exasperated sigh in an attempt to rid him from my thoughts.

He was the other part of my sleeplessness -- now completely incapable of getting the memory of him out of my mind; the feeling of his slightly bare chest beneath my palm, of his slightly calloused fingertips running over the back of my hand, which was strategically placed over his rapidly beating heart -- or worse, those piercing green eyes that were so intense that I could see them twinkle even in pitch black darkness.

I couldn't help but bury my face in the pillow, beginning to punch all sides of it out of frustration. Why couldn't I just sleep? Why did I have to be here, in his house, spending Christmas with his family? Sleeping in his bed, on the same sheets he's slept in a million times on pillows that have cradled his --

"Alright; enough..." I mumble with a groan.

In a swift motion I sat up, throwing my feet over the bed and letting my head fall back with a grunt. I look at the clock as I stand up and begin quietly pacing -- 1:44 am. What am I going to do at 1:44am?

Tiring of my mental battles, I decide to head to the kitchen. I was thirsty, and at least getting out of this room that did nothing but remind me of him might be a start to convincing my mind to let my body rest.

I tug Harry's hoodie firmly down my waist, smiling at the memory of him letting me borrow it the other night. I put it on before bed because I was cold, but I think I'm realizing now it was merely because I wanted to smell like him. After shaking out my tight-clad legs, I slowly opened the door, peering down both sides of the hall to make sure no one was awake before making my escape.

As my socked feet padded towards the stairs, I heard a faint tinkle fill my ears. As I got closer, I realized it was a piano, and I felt my heartbeat quicken a bit. Halfway down the staircase, I heard the slight muffled sound of his gorgeous voice, and butterflies started pooling in my stomach.

He couldn't sleep either.

My pace quickened, although I still kept quiet as I neared the foyer where the piano was. Stopping in the archway, a huge grin tugged at my lips, watching the most beautiful man I've ever laid eyes on let his fingers tinkle over the ivory keys.

Harry is sitting behind the piano, his eyes watching his hands as they continue to play. There was a full glass of red wine sitting atop the piano, and the Christmas lights lit up behind him cast a beautiful glow on his slowly growing stubble. I liked the stubble, it made him look so much more mature, adding a bit of gruffness to his often child-like wonder. His body moved with the music, his head nodding every time he switches chords. His plush bottom lip was tugged between his teeth, his short hair tousling slightly against his forehead.

I had to cover my mouth to keep from gasping when he opened his mouth to sing.

Have yourself a Merry little Christmas.
Let your Heart be Light
From now on, our troubles will be out of sight.