Epilogue

Harry feels like he has butterflies the size of pterodactyls in his stomach as his fingers fumble with his tie in the mirror. The voices of the other occupants in the room are a dull hum behind the thundering beat of his heart, excitement running through his veins like an electrical current. He's waited for this night for months, put every ounce of himself into getting here. There were times when he felt that he wasn't going to make it, that it would all be for naught, but he'd somehow managed to pull through. Tonight was going to be the first night of the rest of his life.

"You ready for this dude?" Nick asks him through the mirror, clapping his shoulder hard and beaming at his best friend.

"Yeah," Harry grins back, blowing out a shaking breath, trying to dispel a little of the manic energy running through him.

"Come on," Nick says, giving his shoulder a rough squeeze, "Let's do this thing right."

He snatches a bottle of bourbon from the table and the others gather round, taking the shot glasses as quickly as Nick fills them. When Nick finally hands the last one to Harry before taking one for himself, the room is quiet -- and Harry, he can't seem to stop smiling, looking at those around him and feeling that this is truly where he's supposed to be, a feeling he's gradually getting used to.

"To new beginnings..." Nick says before grinning slyly and adding, "and finally getting it right."

Harry gives a playful roll of his eyes, unable to fight his grin as he throws his drink back, feeling it burn its way down to his belly, setting the butterflies aflame.

"What the hell is going on in here?"

Harry freezes, raising on his tip toes to see me standing in the doorway, my brow furrowed in confusion as I take in the fullness of the room. I give him a questioning look, and he responds with a sheepish grin, setting his glass down as I make my way towards him.

"Twenty minutes 'til show time," I offer, the excitement evident in my voice as I cross my arms over my chest, feeling as if I could explode from the anticipation.

"You heard the lady!" Nick hollers, and the rest of the band looks to him. "Twenty minutes. Let's give the vocalist a little privacy." No one misses the wiggle of Nick's eyebrows, making me blush and duck my head.

"Thanks Nick," Harry says dryly, receiving a hard pat on the back as his friend follows the band out, pulling the door closed behind him.

I let my head fall to the side as I watch Harry's gaze follow them out, his eyes dancing happily -- and I can't help but wonder if he realizes he's grinning like a fool. I laugh softly to myself, reaching up to touch his face. His eyes meet mine, his grin seeming to stretch even more. His hand comes up to hold mine in place as he turns his head to press a kiss to my palm.

"Big crowd out there," I say softly as his eyes open, and he beams at me. "You nervous?"

"Nah," he says, giving a dismissive wave as he turns from me back to the mirror, fiddling with his tie. "Oh -- hey, there was something I wanted to ask you..."

"Nope," I cut him off, placing my hands on his biceps and urging him to turn.

"It'll only take a sec," he says, tilting his chin up to let me adjust the knot at this throat, looking down at me from under his lashes.

I shake my head, pressing my lips together as I undo the knot and start anew. I can feel him watching me, the heat of his gaze making me nervous. He lets his eyes close for a moment, enjoying the brush of my lips against his throat as I leave the knot loose for him to adjust himself.

"Marry me," he breathes, not even opening his eyes, but grinning at the short gasp I give. He wonders — after all the times he's asked me, if I'm ever going to stop being shocked by it.