Chapter 22

"Olivia..." Eleanor mumbles. "Can you find that file from last week? You know the one. I asked you to pack it, at least you should have if you were even listening," she scolded.

"Eleanor," Anne scolded in return. "You've been working since 6am. Come take a break and help us make cookies."

Anne smiled when Candy came in the back door as well, looking dressed to the nines. I'm assuming her and Nick didn't come together this morning.

"Where's Nick?" she smiled sweetly, waving to the other women.

"They left already, but you're welcome to make some cookies with us," Gemma chimed. Candy smiled excitedly before joining them.

"Come on, Olivia -- you too. You look like you'd be a good mixer," Anne finished, moving out of the way and gesturing towards the bowl that was sitting on the counter.

I hesitated, looking back towards Eleanor who was still diligently typing away while half out of her chair, looking as if she was getting ready to get up. Shortly thereafter, she finished, standing up with a sigh before forcing a bright smile on her face. Anyone that really knew her could tell that it was hard and not warm, but I was shocked. I was frozen, paralyzed in fear as she moved to stand next to Candy to await instructions. Since when does Eleanor play nice? And was I supposed to get that file, or no? I wasn't sure what to do at this point.

"Have you ever baked before?" Candy asked, looking up in awe of Eleanor with wide eyes because she was finally getting a chance to be close to her. I could tell she was a little shocked Eleanor was actually helping, though. I had to fight the laugh that was catching in my throat.

"Of course I've baked before," she muttered, trying to refrain from cursing her out, but instead she just looks at her as if she should know better. "Our chef made cookies all the time when I was younger. Although, she never made me -- " she paused, realizing the implication of her words before rephrasing quickly. "I mean, let me -- help." She forced another smile.

"They're so much more enjoyable when you make them yourself," Anne mentioned while I began stirring, assuming that since Eleanor was helping bake that I was clear to do so as well. "Candy, you want to crack the eggs?"

Candace grins, bouncing on her toes excitedly until she sees Eleanor pushing at her cuticles on her hand, looking bored and unamused. She quickly stopped bouncing and emulated Eleanor's behavior, clearing her throat and pushing her fiery red hair behind her ear. I hadn't noticed before now, but her hair was pooled in soft, curly waves -- just like Eleanor's.

"No...uh. No, I'm fine," Candy offers meekly, watching Eleanor from the corner of her eye as she also started picking at her nails.

Anne looks at her perplexed before she grabs two eggs from the carton. "Eleanor?" She held the eggs out to her, but was only met with icy blue orbs full of disinterest.

"No. I'm fine," she smiles, the saccharine sweetness dripping from her lips like candy.

"I'll do it," I pipe up, not bearing to see this awkwardness any more. "You man the spoon," I smile at Anne before taking the eggs and cracking them in the bowl one by one while she whips them into the slowly forming batter.

After a few minutes of mixing, Anne has to put the spoon down, her arm tiring from the motion. "Whew," she laughs. "That's quite the work out..."

I immediately felt bad, reaching for the spoon, but Anne patted my hand away. "No, no sweetheart. That's ok. Harry got me this mixer..."